Respected Contributor

Re: Non Essential = Disposable

Essential/Non Essential can be added to the terms I am tired of hearing. Last night one of the  local Newscasters  said something to the effect she had a nice drive into HER Essential job. I thought Oh, like a Food Server is less than and can't work right now due to Stay at Home and restaurants closed so not essential and not worth mentioning. Not thinking I am sure ,but it is like I am better than you as more important working at an Essential job and I want you to know it.

Honored Contributor

Throwing money doesn't solve much.  Working does.  We don't value work these days much.  We don't expect some people TO work either.   It causes us to not give people hope of a better life, just hope of being undervalued. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

Essential/Non Essential can be added to the terms I am tired of hearing. Last night one of the  local Newscasters  said something to the effect she had a nice drive into HER Essential job. I thought Oh, like a Food Server is less than and can't work right now due to Stay at Home and restaurants closed so not essential and not worth mentioning. Not thinking I am sure ,but it is like I am better than you as more important working at an Essential job and I want you to know it.

The randomness of the terms is like a "class system" of who is important and who is not.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I feel a lot could be done to reopen certain businesses and practice good hygiene to make it safe for people.  We are all better (well most of us) at our hygiene and safe practices like maks wearing.  I would imagine a lot of places could do business just fine if everyone wore a mask (properly) and didn't allow overcrowding.  

I feel terribly for all the unemployed people, trying to put food on the table.  I think things need to be balanced out a bit.  I don't have the answers but it is too extreme right now. If all those going out would just comply with the rules the wouldn't have to keep shutting parks and such.  I really think it's all about society coming together and behaving.  But there are always those jerks out there that just can't follow very simple rules, and they ruin it for the rest of us.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Our Governor is BOLD (Abbott) in trying to get people back to work, but our Mayor is WIMPY (Ron) N.) ---it seems the lines at the Food Bank dont impress him much....but at least our city doesnt arrest people trying to get their businesses open....like the cities north of us!!!  Slowly people are going back to work, but will others come out of hiding to support them....thats another question.....

And if they do "come out of hiding", will they have money to spend "to support them"?

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I feel a lot could be done to reopen certain businesses and practice good hygiene to make it safe for people.  We are all better (well most of us) at our hygiene and safe practices like maks wearing.  I would imagine a lot of places could do business just fine if everyone wore a mask (properly) and didn't allow overcrowding.  

I feel terribly for all the unemployed people, trying to put food on the table.  I think things need to be balanced out a bit.  I don't have the answers but it is too extreme right now. If all those going out would just comply with the rules the wouldn't have to keep shutting parks and such.  I really think it's all about society coming together and behaving.  But there are always those jerks out there that just can't follow very simple rules, and they ruin it for the rest of us.

I agree that requirements will go a long way in slowing down the spread, yet it will not stop the virus completely.  There are those that want everything shut down completely and those that want everything open.  Compromise has to happen, people are stuck in the middle in limbo. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx  Well this is the essence of the whole recovery and I think about it all the time and SMDH.  Just imagine:  If the entire country had been on lockdown for 2 weeks that would be two weeks that anyone who had been infected would recover at home while those in the hospital were tended to.  After that two week period I think we would have been in terrific shape with way fewer than 75,000 deaths.  Would two weeks have been too much to sacrifice?  Instead we had and have an ongoing situation perpetuated by the jerks that will affect all of us for a long time to come and for longer than need be.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

The only reason essential workers were given that name is because it sounder better than sacrificial workers. These are the people who are working on the front lines in a disease that nobody can treat or cure at the present time. They are the one's most at risk for the sake of others. Unlike the selfish and self-absorbed who only are concerned with me-me-me and their convenience.

There are MANY businesses that remained open that are not considered "front line workers".  As I said that term varies from State to State, in my State the car washes remained open.  They are considered essential.

Where I live, car washes remained open too. Also furniture stores, resale stores, junk stores. 

Several clothing stores closed, JC Penneys, TJ Maxx, Maurices, etc., the hair salons, nail salons and med spa's. 

I don't understand why the junk stores could stay open, when the clothing stores had to close? I'm not going anywhere anyway, but it does not make sense to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx  Well this is the essence of the whole recovery and I think about it all the time and SMDH.  Just imagine:  If the entire country had been on lockdown for 2 weeks that would be two weeks that anyone who had been infected would recover at home while those in the hospital were tended to.  After that two week period I think we would have been in terrific shape with way fewer than 75,000 deaths.  Would two weeks have been too much to sacrifice?

However, the first time someone travels somewhere they could bring it right back into the country.  It is not feasible to keep opening and shutting down the entire country.  The virus is a global issue.  However the idea of targeting hotspots and containing the spread is the long term goal.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx  Well this is the essence of the whole recovery and I think about it all the time and SMDH.  Just imagine:  If the entire country had been on lockdown for 2 weeks that would be two weeks that anyone who had been infected would recover at home while those in the hospital were tended to.  After that two week period I think we would have been in terrific shape with way fewer than 75,000 deaths.  Would two weeks have been too much to sacrifice?

However, the first time someone travels somewhere they could bring it right back into the country.  It is not fiesable to keep opening and shutting down the entire country.  The virus is a global issue.  However the idea of targeting hotspots and containing the spread is the long term goal.

Yes of course this virus is here to stay and probably with mutations.  But I think the entire world was caught off guard in this instance the very first time so it can't be compared to future instances.  I would hope moving forward and like I said before society will have to change the way it behaves out of necessity and now that we are armed with more knowledge we will have to develop more innovative ways to conduct business, travel, how we go about our daily lives.  I highly doubt we will or can go back to the way life was pre-pandemic.  Changes have to happen. JMO.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.