Regular Contributor

Going forward, Target is closing all of its stores in my area at 6 pm.  This is a temporary reduction in open hours for an unspecified period of time.  A Target spokesperson stated in part that this is because these stores are "experiencing a significant and alarming rise in theft and security incidents....."  Wow, I did not know things were this bad.  

Honored Contributor

Re: New Temporary Target Hours

[ Edited ]

Walmart should do that too. Or else have mini police stations in the Walmarts. Lots of crime there. There is no security in Walmart parking lots and the criminals can just sleep in their cars there, wake up, and steal from another car or kidnap someone to rape and murder. One stop shopping indeed.

http://www.jrrobertssecurity.com/target-wal-mart-2/

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my city some store workers are witnessing a lot of shoplifting and doing nothing about it. Their managers are telling those workers not to start any confrontations b/c of possible violent consequences. So the thieves come in, steal what they want and then leave without incident. 

Honored Contributor

Do you suppose theft just occurs in the evening?  It must be a lot of theft to make a large, busy store financially unfeasible to operate. 

Many businesses are cutting back their hours because they can't get help.  This sounds like a more logical reason for early closure. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

I think it's both. My Walmart used to be a 24-hour store until a few years ago when someone was shot and killed at night inside the store. Then it happened again out in the parking lot a few times after that...one was a drive-by shooting in the middle of the day. At that same WM there was some guy 'cooking' meth in one of the store aisles as he used stuff off the shelves to make it...crazy.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Do you suppose theft just occurs in the evening?  It must be a lot of theft to make a large, busy store financially unfeasible to operate. 

Many businesses are cutting back their hours because they can't get help.  This sounds like a more logical reason for early closure. 

@Kachina624 Obviously you didn't read the link she posted. You don't know better this time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Store security costs money. Discount stores don't want to pay for it. They police their staff to keep them from stealing goods, and that's all the security they really invest in. Security cameras and such are mainly there to catch their own workers.

Edited to add: I just looked and my local target is open til 10 as well, Walmart till 11.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee    I fail to see what some incidents at Walmart have to do with Target closing early due to theft.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Store security costs money. Discount stores don't want to pay for it. They police their staff to keep them from stealing goods, and that's all the security they really invest in. Security cameras and such are mainly there to catch their own workers.

@Porcelain    All the big "discount" stores have designated security staff. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain    All the big "discount" stores have designated security staff. 

And they are mainly there to prevent staff from stealing. They don't even monitor the parking lots. How many videos have you seen where there was a violent altercation at one of these stores, and it was a clerk or a checkout person or fellow customer who intervened and saved the day? It's rarely a security person. Because there effectively aren't any. Until the police are called, there's no one.

What you're referring to is the way it used to be. Nowadays, it's not like that anymore. It's extremely Third World.