Honored Contributor

Re: New Temporary Target Hours

@depglass wrote:

If online hours are correct, ours is open until 10PM.  

@depglass  Well so are ours but obviously hours vary by location.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

This sounds like the kind of action the stores in San Francisco might take in response to lenient local shoplifting laws. 

You might just be trying to drag this thread down too, huh?  Finally, if people are going to steal, they're gonna steal.  Giving them four hours less won't stop the thefts @deepwaterdotter .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

This sounds like the kind of action the stores in San Francisco might take in response to lenient local shoplifting laws. 

You might just be trying to drag this thread down too, huh?  Finally, if people are going to steal, they're gonna steal.  Giving them four hours less won't stop the thefts @deepwaterdotter .

No, that wasn't my conscious intent.  Just posting a hypothesis as to why the OG's local (if he/she resides in San Francisco) Target stores might be closing earlier than normal.  Reports of rampant shoplifting in San Francisco have been in the national news recently.  

Super Contributor

Target is adjusting hours just in some areas. You can imagine with the "political unrest" it's not worth staying open late.

Our friend is a police officer in our major city. They are not allowed to do anything with shoplifting calls anymore so stores have no recourse. You can't blame Target.

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

No, that wasn't my conscious intent.  Just posting a hypothesis as to why the OG's local (if he/she resides in San Francisco) Target stores might be closing earlier than normal.  Reports of rampant shoplifting in San Francisco have been in the national news recently.  

I saw something about this on the news a couple weeks ago.  It seems in SanFrancisco they aren't going to prosecute for anything under $1,000.  Also, they aren't going to stop people for expired license plates or burned out head lights.  They don't have enough officers to handle all the mayhem.  It sounds like the inmates are running things.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I saw something about this on the news a couple weeks ago.  It seems in SanFrancisco they aren't going to prosecute for anything under $1,000.  Also, they aren't going to stop people for expired license plates or burned out head lights.  They don't have enough officers to handle all the mayhem.  It sounds like the inmates are running things.

Yeah, but this has been the law since at least 2016 (shoplifting of under 1,000 will be consider a misdemeanor and not grand larceny.  So it's not new according to a local news report.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/05/14/shoplifting-california-prop-47-reduced-penalties/

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

Target is adjusting hours just in some areas. You can imagine with the "political unrest" it's not worth staying open late.

Our friend is a police officer in our major city. They are not allowed to do anything with shoplifting calls anymore so stores have no recourse. You can't blame Target.

Have I missed something. What political unrest is going on now? @busymom22 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Yeah, but this has been the law since at least 2016 (shoplifting of under 1,000 will be consider a misdemeanor and not grand larceny.  So it's not new according to a local news report.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/05/14/shoplifting-california-prop-47-reduced-penalties/

2016 or 2021, I stand by my opinion of such lunacy.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

When I worked at Sears 15 years ago, I was told that if I saw someone shoplifting, DO NOT APPROACH, DO NOT CONFRONT, DO NOT LAY A FINGER ON THEM. Just keep a visual on them and call loss prevention.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

A little story.  Maybe a year or two ago, I was shopping in my local Walmart.

I saw a young woman standing near me with her cart.  I noticed her purse was wide open with the wallet on top.

I walked down the aisle when suddenly she yelled out, “My wallet’s been stolen.”  She was standing next to me.

I said to her, “Go immediately to the front of the store.  Ask someone to get the manager.  I saw her run to the front.

I went on shopping.  I was in the aisle where the paper towels were.  Sitting right on the shelf was a wallet.  I picked it up and handed it to the people behind the pharmacy part.  I said, “You should take it to the manager there’s someone with him who lost her wallet.”

As I was checking out, the manager came over to me with the woman holding her wallet.  She and the manager thanked me for telling her to go to the front.

The manager said there is a man and woman going in Walmart’s stealing wallets and purses.

He said that by her going to the front it probably made the couple nervous and they left the wallet on the shelf.

He said the store has cameras everywhere in the aisles.  He said the camera probably captured them putting the wallet up there.

I’m always at people leaving their purses wide open in the basket as they go off looking at something.

I guess maybe us old(er) folks most of the time keep a better eye on their possessions.

There are 2 times in life where our hearts come up our throats.  The first and most important is when you can’t find you child; the second is when you misplace your wallet or purse.

I hate to put a damper on this but it’s not worth it most of the time for stores to go after thieves.

I once had my debit card numbers stolen by someone who broke into a gas tank.  Everything is on a magnetic tape.  It has your pin and number of your card.

I got a call this had happened a few years back from an investigator at my bank.

He said, “We’ve already replaced your money”.  It was something like $483.  

The investigator said, “We don’t follow thru unless it’s over $500.”

I said, “Just think how many other people had their accounts stolen.  Now multiple that by $483.  I’d say they made a good haul for free”.