Trusted Contributor

Re: New Temporary Target Hours

@Porcelain wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Store security costs money. Discount stores don't want to pay for it. They police their staff to keep them from stealing goods, and that's all the security they really invest in. Security cameras and such are mainly there to catch their own workers.

@Porcelain    All the big "discount" stores have designated security staff. 

And they are mainly there to prevent staff from stealing. They don't even monitor the parking lots. How many videos have you seen where there was a violent altercation at one of these stores, and it was a clerk or a checkout person or fellow customer who intervened and saved the day? It's rarely a security person. Because there effectively aren't any. Until the police are called, there's no one.

What you're referring to is the way it used to be. Nowadays, it's not like that anymore. It's extremely World.

@Porcelain  You are correct. Many stores are like that. A while back someone was stealing perfume at TJMaxx, I pointed him out to the security guard and he told me it wasn't his job to handle that. I was taken back for a moment, then I figured out that I may not know that, but the thieves do.

At stores like Costco and Sam's Club they do have security that goes after stealing customers, once they exit the door with the loot. They lose their membership forever.

Honored Contributor

If online hours are correct, ours is open until 10PM.  

Valued Contributor

Stores know when their best sales numbers occur and schedule staff accordingly, sometimes during the slower times when the sales and staffing are lower theft will increase.  Store chains know which locations have higher security costs and have greater losses.  A large chain can see where their problems are and also must deal with whatever local laws impact the ability to prosecute the shoplifter.  In some areas theft is done by organized theft rings.

In my area a grocery chain closed down a store located on one of the busier traffic corridors because of theft.  Later another established grocer that is open 24 hours took over that location, within a short time the overnight hours for that location were eliminated due to theft.

In store security personnel can't do much of anything but be a presence that may deter a portion of shoplifting.  The dollar value for being meaningfully charged is too high, some officials will not prosecute.  Laws and enforcing laws matter.  

I remember reading a few months ago that more that 15 Walgreens locations have closed in San Francisco over the past 5 years due to shoplifting.  When things get  bad enough some people become afraid to shop and that contributes to store closure.  

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

If online hours are correct, ours is open until 10PM.  

@depglass  My husband was at Target last evening. It was later than six. I just looked at mine online like you did and it says 10PM, so I called to make sure. 10PM. I am guessing it is not everywhere that this is happening.

Honored Contributor

Target stores were broken into and totally looted at night this past year.  They might be thinking about that, as as well as, employee safety over July 4rth. 

I'd put a very high fence around the stores, electrified at night. That should solve the problem.    

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Target stores were broken into and totally looted at night this past year.  They might be thinking about that, as as well as, employee safety over July 4rth. 

I'd put a very high fence around the stores, electrified at night. That should solve the problem.    

It also might scare people away, @Foxxee

I think I'd shop elsewhere. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

The Target where I live has their regular store hours.  It closes at 10p.m.  This must be location issue. 

Is Target like a franchised company or ar all of their stores under one big company?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

No franchises, it's all corporate stores.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This sounds like the kind of action the stores in San Francisco might take in response to lenient local shoplifting laws. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We also use to have 24hr stores (not sure about Target though) and now they close at 11PM use to be midnight.  Believe it or not there is a huge sector of the population who function at night due to either their job or restlessness and prefer shopping in the middle of the night when there is no intense heat,  We went out during one such night and that's how we found out that our grocery store as well as Walmart closed at 11PM we thought at least one would be open to midnight.  So ridiculous.  

We stayed up to 6AM and was first in to buy our groceries!!