Honored Contributor

First, make an appointment to find out why you are falling so much.  Dealing with any mobility issues should be your major concern, not cushioning a fall.  I would think that a lighter colored carpet would be better, it's easier for you to see where you are going.  Also, with a lighter carpet, it's easier to see things that you drop on the floor.  

Honored Contributor

I would get a tightly woven light colored carpet, in a light color or combination of light colors.  I would not get any kind of shaggy rug, as they buckle up after only a short while and need stretching often.

My own preference would be a wooden floor, but not a waxed one.  However, you are asking about rugs.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

My experience has also been that darker carpet shows everything and more noticeably fades where it is hit by bright daylight.

Honored Contributor

I live in an apartment, so therefore have no choice in rug/carpet coloring.  But am so thankful for the color I have....it is in the beige family, and goes well with most upholstery colors.  Am able to see things that fall on the floor easily.  

Am on a walker, and also use a cane when not using the walker.  

Personally, believe it is just as important to have a good pad under the carpet.

Also, as for bathroom rugs, make sure they are in good condition on the side that goes on the floor.  They need to be secure too.  As far as color in the bathroom, I have a dark teal....and yes, it does show every little piece of thread, etc.   

Falling is a problem that many older folks have.....

Esteemed Contributor

Once I had a darkish rust-brown plush carpet put in the living room and I was so very sorry.  It showed every last bit of dog hair and drove me nuts.