Valued Contributor

Putting new carpet in large livingroom/

I need help!

I'm leaning toward a darkish green.

Green is supposed tobe calming...maybe bedroom, too/

I have to put in carpet because I fall a lot.

I live alone. 

Trusted Contributor

Not dark green. If you fall a lot, you should get a light color so if there’s anything on the floor that’s a tripping hazard, you’ll see it.  The floor isn’t what’s calming, it’s your wall color and accessories that should be calming. Why are you falling a lot?

Honored Contributor

Dark green would make your room very dark and it shows every piece of dead grass, lint, threads, anything that might be tracked inside.  Do you have a pet?  Dark carpet would be a nightmare.  I'd go with a medium shade of some other color, maybe beige or blue.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@countrylady wrote:

Putting new carpet in large livingroom/

I need help!

I'm leaning toward a darkish green.

Green is supposed tobe calming...maybe bedroom, too/

I have to put in carpet because I fall a lot.

I live alone. 

I made the mistake of putting in off white, but later saw a carpet in a new home that was the perfect color. It was kind of a gray/green frizze (I am probably spelling this wrong). It is not dark, but goes with everything and is not too light to show tracking or too dark to show little threads and light things. It was also very restful. That is what I woud use the next time around. Also, the frizze lasts forever.

Esteemed Contributor

@countrylady  I would stay away from any dark color.  If you need a green carpet, go with a very light grey/green.  Dark colors can hide items that can easily be stepped on and cause a balance problem.  Also, dark colors show dirt more.  You will get tired of it very quickly, and then that becomes a big waste of money.

I remember when we were first looking to buy a home in our area, we went into a model home and the carpets were a dark forest green.  It did not look good and I still remember it very well, especially since I pass that home every day.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

The color that @RealtyGal2 described is a very neutral color. A muted, cool-toned green, which is what I chose for the rug under my piano. (For me, I wanted the accent colors, too.)

Royal Palace 7'x9' Fleur de Lis Wool Rug with Scroll Border - H210153

On the other hand, here is a Royal Palace dark green:

Royal Palace Special Edition Savonnerie 8'6" x 12'9" Wool Rug - H209292

Whether or not you want a pattern, probably not, since you are getting carpet, there is a big difference in the shade of greens when it comes to decorating.

The point is, dark green is not neutral. You almost have to have a huge room (which you do have) and the right, strong colored furniture, like in a home library.

Beiges can be a bit boring.

Of course, color choices are personal, and your space & furniture also dictates what may be a better suit.

Esteemed Contributor

When we built our house in 1986 we chose forest green carpet throughout. We chose it because it was different from the beige, tan that was popular at the time. I really liked it initially until it always had a whitish cast of cat hair on it. I could vacuum it every day and it still showed every piece of fur and lint. We got rid of that carpet after about 5 years and went with wood and tile. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did new carpet in much of my home last fall. I suggest a medium tan or beige for a rug or wall to wall. Nothing too light. Dark colors, including green, are just as bad as cream/ white as dark colors show everything all day, every day.

I am more concerned that you "fall a lot" and live alone. Just a suggestion, but perhaps it is time to think about moving to an assisted living community more than new carpet. Carpet will not help if you fall and break bones and/ or cannot get up.

Please talk to someone about this- today!

Honored Contributor

@countrylady ....just a heads up, a friend of mine put navy blue carpet in the living room, it was beautiful, but showed absolutely every piece of string, lint, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do you fall a lot?  Smooth non-carpet surfaces are easier to traverse, prticularly if you need a cane or walker.