Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need to get rid of Hallmark ornaments

@Sooner wrote:

@Puppy Lips How about a Children's Hospital?  Maybe they would like them.

Also, police often carry toys in their cars to give to children in bad situations--I know they especially like stuffed animals.  A suggestion for someone who has stuffed animals. Also homeless shelters could use them.

@Sooner I am not ready to give up my Madame Alexander doll ornaments yet. However, I am still dealing with getting rid of my mother's things.  She had a lot of stuffed animals.  Why, I don't know.  We always thought that she never grew up.  Anyway, I should give them to the police or some sort of shelter.  Thanks for the idea.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Maybe a craft n give situation?

Group them, like all-years, all wizard of oz, all peanuts etc. Then take a hot glue gun and form them into Christmas tree shapes then donate to  a shelter, daycare,  etc. Repurpose it to a more manageable item. Probably sounds cookey,  to ya'all i dunno. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue. I began collecting in the mid 80's. One collection, Nostalgic Houses and Shops that began in 1984 is still in production. 
I priced that ornament, and it's the most valuable. 

I stopped buying them about eight years ago. I've seen lots of Hallmark in consignment stores, and they don't sell because younger people don't want them. Since my kids don't want mine, they're going to be donated. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go online and look for some other recycle/resell places; I use one that picks it up from my porch and I schedule the time and date I want. I also get to choose which charity gets the proceeds from the sale of my things. I think it is R2S.org or com.

For Christmas ornaments like Hallmark, you could try donating them to: 

Ronald McDonald House in your area

Nursing or assisted living communities

Children's hospitals

Memory care centers

If there is a local church that does shoeboxes for Samaritans Purse, they may want them

Local public libraries that decorate trees in their lobby may want them
I hope you find a place where others can enjoy them. They may find one particular one that has a special meaning to them. At Goodwill they will just be thrown in a cart and broken to pieces. 

Honored Contributor

To all who are burdened with other people's stuff, let me say it is fine to simply toss it and move forward.  Whatever was spent on it brought someone joy, was a choice they made, and has served its purpose.

Do not feel guilty, they did not leave it to you to be a burden.  It might have even been a burden to them.

There is enough being donated in this country that I seriously doubt yours will be missed! So if tossing it is the best for you it's fine!  Go ahead.  You aren't depriving someone and maybe will make life better for you.

Super Contributor

I have a set on encyclopedias and I'm missing one book. It's hard to toss. I got them in the 90's.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

I love your changes/perspective.

As for collecting ornaments, I had also bought one for each of my kids that was either next in series or had meaning to child.  Each year they bring joy to my heart as I hang or see on their tree.  I have told my kids that when I am gone they had best delicately wrap and save as I had.  What will happen? Who knows. I am careful to not over-buy for grands or myself anymore.  I do see people in hallmark stores buying mounds of ornaments.  Wish I had been more selective many years ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dimin 

I think mine are from 70's - deluxe with yearbooks. I finally carried them to cars last year and put in boxes as weights for cars in bad weather.  I never removed this spring. Maybe another year.

Honored Contributor

@dimin wrote:

I have a set on encyclopedias and I'm missing one book. It's hard to toss. I got them in the 90's.

My husband bought Encyclopedia Britannica for his younger brothers and sisters. I think there were at least 50 books. One set was comprehensive and one set was a brief explanation.

We put the books in a recycling bin for paper. OOPS! We learned the next week that books were not acceptable. So we loaded up our trash cans with our text books.

We tipped our trash men for all their hard work.