Respected Contributor

Need to get rid of Hallmark ornaments

They are from the 1980s &90s. My adult sons don't want or need them so I am trying to get rid of them. There is a lot to take photos of. Where to go.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need to get rid of Hallmark ornaments

Several years ago I donated hundreds that my mom and I collected over the years. I donated them to a local animal shelter. It would have been to much work to try and sell them all. I kept maybe 6 that I really liked. 

Honored Contributor

Donation to a local childrens hospital.
Valued Contributor

If you look on Ebay you will see that most of them are esentially worthless.  Definitely agree with donating.

Esteemed Contributor

A colleague at work gave me Hallmark ornaments every Christmas for years. They were not to my taste and I would never use them. Of course I would never hurt her feelings by telling her. I finally donated them.
Honored Contributor

Speaking only for me, as always, but in true Konmari mode, I would thank them for the years of pleasure they brought me and I would bag them up, take them to Goodwill, leave them and drive away. 

You're not going to get anything for them and you're going to spend way too much of your time trying.

And I really do thank possessions that I'm parting with. They meant something to me once and brought me pleasure at one time so I thank them for that and release them.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Speaking only for me, as always, but in true Konmari mode, I would thank them for the years of pleasure they brought me and I would bag them up, take them to Goodwill, leave them and drive away. 

You're not going to get anything for them and you're going to spend way too much of your time trying.

And I really do thank possessions that I'm parting with. They meant something to me once and brought me pleasure at one time so I thank them for that and release them.  

@gidgetgh I agree with you.  And because of her idea of thanking them, I modified it a little and thank God for the blessing he gave me to have it, and ask to be able to bless someone else with it. 

Respected Contributor

Is there a family or two in the area that have had house fires or flooding or tornado/hurricane destruction who might be starting over that you could give them to?

Another option is young newlyweds that might not have anything as they're just starting out and might appreciate your collection.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

They are from the 1980s &90s. My adult sons don't want or need them so I am trying to get rid of them. There is a lot to take photos of. Where to go.

Are the Hallmark ornaments different characters or types? ie: Peanut characters? Disney characters? Wizard of Oz? etc.

You could put like themes together. I know there are numerous Disney Groups (I used to work there) and people are thrilled to find certain characters. And my girlfriend was always on the look out for Wizard of Oz.

So if they are from the 80s & 90s they might be ornaments before they started to collect. Posted on line there are ALWAYS pictures of different items that people have found at Salvation Army or Goodwill.

Esteemed Contributor

Whe my DD got her first job she started collecting Hallmark ornaments.

She had so many we had to have 2 trees.  (I would rather get hit in the head rather than have even one tree now)  One had our regular ornaments and 1 was nothing but those flippen Hallmark ornaments. When you pulled it in it made so much noise with some of the Hallmark with bells, whistles etc. Our  Bassett hound would not go in the room.

Fast forward a few years, she couldn't give them away.