Valued Contributor

I'm not understanding what is odd about having a sleepover with children who are not your own?  I enjoy having children in my life.  I love that my niece and nephew look forward to coming to my house.

If the OP doesn't want to be involved with the child, that's fine.  But to call it odd or think there's something  wrong in the child's life is really stretching. The little girl probably thinks the OP is cool.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

Unless you have a child, it would be odd for her to sleep over at your house.  JMO.  So I'd just say "sorry, no sleepovers!" if she asks again.  Nicely, and don't over-explain to kids is my recommendation.  Kids ask for a lot - especially spoiled kids.  She probably doesn't even want to spend the night with you but thinks you have something (snacks, movies) that she wants.  

I totslly agree with you  Very odd for the 10 year old to sleep over at your house if you don't have a child her age.

Agreed. 

Honored Contributor

Personally, I can't fathom ever willingly having a child sleep over, but that's me. Perhaps the child just thinks it would be fun, or who knows, maybe she's actually looking for someone to set limits... My suggestion would be to simply tell her she wouldn't like it at your house because you have too many rules... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

OT: I hated sleepovers as a kid. I would come home, after awhile. 

Honored Contributor

I would just tell her no or tell her you have set rules at your house that she will have to obey and maybe she will get some idea of proper behavior.  She may be wanting to get away because her parent's don't seem to care what she does.

Trusted Contributor

If it wasn't odd, if it was natural and she was like an aunt to this girl, she wouldn't be on here asking how to say "no" to a child.  They don't have the kind of relationship that would warrant an overnight if she can't set boundaries with the girl.  They clearly aren't that close.  

I do have kids, and over the years have had many nieces and nephews spend the night.  I can say no to them and set boundaries for them when they are under my care.  This is not the same situation.

Esteemed Contributor

10 year olds do not need an explanation. If you say " oh I don't think so" and she keeps pestering you her parents should speak up. If they don't that is their bad parenting and that is not your problem. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Who is the adult? 

Tell her no and move on.  LOL

Valued Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

If it wasn't odd, if it was natural and she was like an aunt to this girl, she wouldn't be on here asking how to say "no" to a child.  They don't have the kind of relationship that would warrant an overnight if she can't set boundaries with the girl.  They clearly aren't that close.  

I do have kids, and over the years have had many nieces and nephews spend the night.  I can say no to them and set boundaries for them when they are under my care.  This is not the same situation.

I respectfully disagree.  I don't know what kind of relationship the OP has with this child.  I don't think it's odd to become involved in the life of a child, regardless of familial relationship. Kids can teach us a lot and I find they do keep me young.

The OP hesitates to take the child because she thinks the girl will misbehave.  She doesn't indicate that the request is odd.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

Unless you have a child, it would be odd for her to sleep over at your house.  JMO.  So I'd just say "sorry, no sleepovers!" if she asks again.  Nicely, and don't over-explain to kids is my recommendation.  Kids ask for a lot - especially spoiled kids.  She probably doesn't even want to spend the night with you but thinks you have something (snacks, movies) that she wants.  

I totslly agree with you  Very odd for the 10 year old to sleep over at your house if you don't have a child her age.

Agreed. 

I don't think it's odd at all. I spent years working with children and questions like this aren't uncommon at all. Kids wanted to come home with me or have me come over to their houses. They find people they like and admire and want to emulate them. That's standard kid stuff.

Certainly, it can indicate something is going on at home that they are trying to avoid, but that's not always, or even often, the case.