Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Fresher wrote:

Actually N95 masks can be reused.

Yes, @Fresher you can reuse them. You can use them for up to one week, as long as  they are not dirty or soiled in any way. That was per a Medical Doctor.  He said just store them where they get a lot of light.

@manny2 

People have been keeping them on their dashboards if they park outside.

@ECBG That is what I do. I never touch it until I use hand sanitizer, so I feel confident reusing it. 

Respected Contributor

I wear triple layer cloth masks that I wash frequently, plus I add an extra filter into the pouch inside the mask. Yes, the N95 masks are very expensive, but couldn't you wear one over a cloth or disposable mask and get multiple uses out of it?

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 

I grew up in Cherry Hill and spent a lot of time at that mall.  We even had our junior prom in that tropical area in front of Strawbridges!  Moved from there in 1973 and haven't been back since. Would be fun to visit now! I also loved Haddonfield and had an aunt in Haddon Heights.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I wear triple layer cloth masks that I wash frequently, plus I add an extra filter into the pouch inside the mask. Yes, the N95 masks are very expensive, but couldn't you wear one over a cloth or disposable mask and get multiple uses out of it?

@catwhisperer 

The efficacy of N95 mask comes from their air-tight fit around the edge of the mask plus what it's made out of. The seal you get when wearing a N95 properly is key to keeping you safe. People need to make sure to put N95s on the right way otherwise it's not going to be completely safe and you might as well not wear one.

Honored Contributor

I wear a mask where required.  A "blue" surgical mask and use it until the elastic breaks--LOL!!

I do have KN95 and N95 masks but have seen no need to use them yet.  

Honored Contributor

The correct way of wearing a N95 is after you put it on and adjust the nose piece, you need to put your clean hands over the mask to cover it entirely and then blow a few breaths. If the air escapes from around the edges of the mask then it's not fitting you properly. You need to make it fit tighter against your face, re-adjust the nose piece and then do the 'breath test' again to check for leaks. If that fails again then you are wearing the wrong size mask.

ETA- What some people do to make a tighter fitting N95 is take another cloth or some other inexpensive mask and then put that one on top of the N95. Just be sure to make the cloth mask fit tight so it pushes the N95 mask against your face.

Esteemed Contributor

If the N95 mask doesn't fit properly, you need another one?  Not everyone can afford to keep buying masks.

This could go on for another year or so, and it's just not plausible. I have no answer, but the situation is really bad. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee You're absolutely right. We had required fit tests at intervals to make sure we had a good seal on the N-95's. We were warned we were not protected if we did not pass the tests.

Men with beards did not get a good seal, failing the tests. If working in high risk areas, they were not allowed to have facial hair. Even the structure of an individual person's face could prevent a tight fit.

When fitted properly, they were great for brief in and out tasks and care in an isolation room, but miserable to wear for extended periods. If the mask has a tight seal, it makes you feel like you're suffocating. I now see some wearing them loosely, with obvious open borders all around the sides and bottom. That's not protection.

We can reuse them for our current needs (x's 7 days) if they are not soiled, or directly contaminated by known source. It's just important to handle them carefully when removing, keeping hands off exterior of mask as much as possible and keep in a safe place. Then wash hands! 

Trusted Contributor

I don't understand this about the reusing of masks so maybe a professional or someone can help me out.

If you have a mask on and go home and don't use it for 12 hours or so the virus is long gone from said mask and so why not reuse it?

I can't breath well with the masks and my heart goes out to all those who work with the public day in and day out.

Oh and my oxygen levels are usually 99 or so but when I went to the Doctor last week I had a mask on and it was 94.

Esteemed Contributor

Should have been free from the begnning.  If they are effective then it might have saved lots of spread.  But we were left to whatever we could buy or make.  The cost is still high considering they are not a permanent item and have to be replaced.