Contributor

AMEN!!!

One group you left out was the corporate farmers, who seem to be plowing their crops under with glee while people aren't working ang food banks are unable to help all the needy. They plow it all under and then go pick up their subsidy checks, which they aren't technically entitled to. 

We're all in the same boat; at the mercy of those who don't really give two hoots if we live or die.. They talk about losing family members to this horrible virus like it's the same as flushing a goldfish down the toilet. I'm trying to keep myself safe and alive, and for those too dumb to do the same; good luck!

Btw, I'm still waiting for my IRS refund that I filed on Feb 19 and my stimulus check.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Big Joanie  Holy smokes..that's a lot of money!

Yes it was ....

Honored Contributor

Sadly, a lot of huge businesses received millions instead of it going to small businesses.  I feel bad for small businesses that are struggling.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  If I were you I would be irked too...actually I would be VERY worried! 

I wouldn't blame your friend though but instead it's the fault of incompetence in government.  She may be getting unemployment and making more than before but it's only temporary.  That extra $600.00 a week and unemployment doesn't last forever. 

I hope you get your stimulus money and assistance soon!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz   Yes, all states are different in how they are handling things.....In my state the program for self employed (those with no employees which is our business ) gig workers, etc.  is not due to roll out until mid May according to the email I received.

When I tried to pre register, as suggested,  the instructions made no sense...and I was not the only one that thought the same thing...I spoke with another business owner who had the same problem.

I'll be vigilent on trying to get registered. 

Honored Contributor

@BeautyLver wrote:

No idea why you are not able to utilize your state' web site in order to apply for monies you may be entitled.  Seems like that would be a huge priority to spend as much time as necessary seeking resolution.

As far as financial circumstances of others, I don't concern myself with such.  Why you feel the need to trash someone you say is a "friend" for any reason...that is sad.    

@BeautyLver   I did not see her "trashing" her friend.  She simply made a comparison regarding how some, like herself, are waiting for help while others, like her friend, are receiving help already.

It's a valid point.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Your frustration is understandable @Mom2Dogs . Your friend didn't select the unemployment check amount, so while it seems unfair, we can't control it. Detailing a car seems kind of frivolous, but it helped keep someone else working. I hope you can soon pick up the pieces and get your business rolling again.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I am so sorry.

My nephew is on furlough, and my sister reports he is making more money now than when he was working.   I am all for being supportive to those that are in need, but come on!  They should not be able to make a "profit".

I've heard of some small businesses in my area that are having trouble rehiring their employees now that things are opening up.

With their unemployment and the extra $600, they're making more than they did on their jobs and aren't interested in working until it runs out.

I don't know how this could be legal.  I could understand if they are not being brought back full-time but if a business is opening back up and you are being brought back in your normal full-time capacity, I would think you have to take the position back or IMO you should lose your unemployment. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I am so sorry.

My nephew is on furlough, and my sister reports he is making more money now than when he was working.   I am all for being supportive to those that are in need, but come on!  They should not be able to make a "profit".

I've heard of some small businesses in my area that are having trouble rehiring their employees now that things are opening up.

With their unemployment and the extra $600, they're making more than they did on their jobs and aren't interested in working until it runs out.

I don't know how this could be legal.  I could understand if they are not being brought back full-time but if a business is opening back up and you are being brought back in your normal full-time capacity, I would think you have to take the position back or IMO you should lose your unemployment. 

The nuance people are using is that they are afraid to come back to work right now.  For some that may be true but others are just using it to stay out of work.  The Lt governor wants businesse to "work with these employees" till they are comfortable coming back.  They are keeping unemployment and the employeers are being told not to replace them.  A real catch - 22

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@debfau wrote:

@elated wrote:

I think the extra $600 for unemployment goes through the end of July. This is not a forever pay day. Also, I would think it the employee refuses to come back to work the employer can notify the state and let them know. If they refuse to go back, they should not reap the benefits. I knew this extra money would cause a problem. How they came to a figure of $600 is unbelievable. 

I hope everything works out for you. It has to be hard with everything happening. Just don't give up.

But employers have to remember that some of these employees now have kids at home and if they go back to work what are they going to do with their kids? Most schools are not going to be re-opening before new school year and most daycares are closed except for those taking first responder kids.

Then one assumes those impacted in this way need to work to procure childcare in some fashion. Given the hits they've already taken, businesses can't be held hostage by individual employee's childcare situations. Once given the go-ahead to open, they're going to open, just as they should. One would also note schools would be ending their academic years soon anyway. There should be no sanctioning of extending unemployment to those who refuse to go back to work, regardless of their reasons. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...