Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

RE: the $600 addition to unemployment

I think the intent of that figure was to level the playing field - so that someone who usually makes $75,000 a year doesn't quite make what they usually do, while someone who makes $40,000 a year makes what they usually do, and someone who makes less than $30,000 a year makes more than they usually do.

Hopefully, those who are making more than usual under this program will save their money in a rainy day fund and find a better job that pays closer to average wages when this is all over.

Meanwhile, the average wage earner can continue to cover their bills as usaual.

It's really not all that "unfair"...

@SchippyLuv.  I'm sure that are such people, but we tend to home in on those who we think are spending the money frivolously, which of course is anecdotal but still becomes a rallying call for many. (not talking about the OP).

It's the same with welfare of any kind.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  why did that accountant  discouraged your friends? No wonder some small businesses are losing out because accountants don´t want to do the work.

Banks also discourage small businesses because they get a bigger fee by giving out 20 millions dollars to companies who don´t need it.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04   The accountant told our business owner friend that there were a lot of hoops to jump thru and did not trust that the money would not have to be paid back.  

Our friend is trying to hold on but I would guess if push comes to shove and there is money left, he will apply...but it might be to late.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie  Holy smokes..that's a lot of money!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Hoovermom  We do not file W-2's.

I'm glad you were approved, were there a lot of hoops to jump thru?

We have friends that own a carry out, their accountant advised against the loan/grant...said it was going to be a nightmare...so far they are hanging on, but if things don't improve they will need to apply..before the money is gone, and they have had two employees quit...one worked just one day!

@Mom2Dogs :  The most frustrating thing was applying with our bank and not getting any updates on their website as to where our application was.  We are in a big industry where FB groups, other groups would update each other on their frustrations waiting for their money.  You did have to upload a lot of financial records to the bank doing the filing for you which really wasn't bad (DH does all that work).  The rules are pretty strict as far as loan forgiveness, and we are already set up to track every penny that is spent (75% for payroll, 25% for various other expenses).  This loan "grant" is for 8 weeks only and then we will have to file for "forgiveness".  We hope to be successful in reaching those goals.   Hang in there.

Honored Contributor

@debfau 

My DIL stated she will continue to work from home since schools have cancelled rest of year.  This work from home order is only until 6/19 then she has no idea what they'll do. The summer camps are closed as of now and what's the "next" step.

I'm sure it's a big concern for all working parents & I believe if you don't return to work those collecting additional $600 lose it & unemployment benefits.  It's terrible for those who are "furloughed"..

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

My heart feels for you & all those who are impacted financially during this pandemic.  Although, I am not familiar with what a small business has to go thru for government assistance I will share with you (and others here) the sad moment my❤️ felt tonight.

For years we've been going to a fav chinese takeout restaurant in our area.  We go almost every week and the owners are the nicest people, in fact, I've watched their children grow up.  

Since our state reopened restaurants yesterday and we are not comfortable just yet going out I went to food store in the plaza and saw the "open" sign.  I stopped in to say "hi" and see how they were. 

You could see in their eyes "the hope" and "fear" the business can survive.  She said "very scary times" and hoped customers would return as this is their livelihood.  They are both concerned they will not be able to meet the rent -- of course, time will tell. 

These are stories I'm sure we will continue to hear.  I hope you get the assistance you are entitled to and your business survives.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

DH and I are self employed...I have mentioned this many times...the only money that came in during April was what we billed in March.  Of course we had rent, utilities, etc to pay at our office and now we are in a new month and have those payments to make again.

We have yet to get the stimulus money and so far have not been able to get on our states web site for self employed people to get any assistance.

We are not destitute but I am not sure what the next two months will bring if we cannot get any work....

so this is my vent:

My friend on is on unemployment +600.00 until she is called back to work (she is making more money not working) had her car detailed yesterday at the tune of $125.00 and had a massage today.  Massage was done by a family member.  

Just irked at the whole situation

Did you go to your bank, aren't small businesses suppose to get loans to keep paying employees etc... or to just help their business?

Honored Contributor

Re: My turn to vent

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

Are you sure you cannot collect unemployment? I thought I read self employed could file. This info came from New York Times article dated 4-16-20.

Self-employed workers should apply for benefits through the unemployment program in the state where they worked, but it may not be easy. Many states are modifying their systems and retraining staff to accommodate newly eligible self-employed workers.

For applicants to qualify for pandemic benefits, the state must first determine that they are ineligible for regular benefits. Each state will have its own process for applicants to follow. In New York, for example, self-employed applicants cannot apply for pandemic unemployment assistance until they have applied and been rejected for regular unemployment benefits, according to a spokeswoman for the State Department of Labor.

Once you successfully file, the amount you receive will depend on your state. But under the pandemic program, there will be a minimum benefit equal to one-half the state’s average weekly unemployment insurance amount. That comes out to about $190 a week nationally, on average, according to the National Employment Law Project.

All workers receiving unemployment benefits — including the self-employed — are also eligible for the extra $600 weekly payment being offered by the federal government through the end of July. (Even qualifying for $1 of benefits means you will receive the full $600 as long as you remain eligible.)

How long your benefits last also varies by state. Most states offer 26 weeks, but others offer less. Under the second economic relief bill, most traditional workers are generally eligible for an added 13 weeks after their state-level benefit runs out. Self-employed people drawing benefits from the pandemic program may receive up to 39 weeks total, in an effort to mirror what traditional employees receive, according to a senior official at the Labor Department. If a state enters a period of high unemployment, triggering what are known as extended benefits, self-employed people may receive up to seven additional weeks.

Eligible workers may receive retroactive benefits for weeks of employment dating back to Jan. 27. The program runs until Dec. 31 unless it’s extended.

Respected Contributor

I think we are all in for a contraction.  Since we did not handle things well, like New Zealand and Australia did, we will come back to a smaller economy.  We will all have smaller pieces of a smaller pie.