Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest 

If your mom does go to a facility for "rehab", the social worker gives you a days notice.  Check out the facility first, go online and look at the STATES' record on that facility.

I'm not sure if they still do it or not, but the facilities doctors prescribed Oxycontin for all the patients when they arrive.  My mom wasn't in any pain but everyone got a prescription.

I found the hospitals and nursing facilities love to dope up the elderly. They sleep and don't bother the staff....and yes, that was true.

I hope she gets better and avoids all of this.

Honored Contributor

Mom was moved to a rehabilitation center yesterday ,insurance will allow 3 wks . there,and then she has to leave, i just don't know what will happen.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest    Thats  is wonderful your Mom is on the mend! Hope your Mom is feeling much better. A positive step just to get out of the hospital.  One day at a time

The best advice i can give is to stay in regular communication with the nurses, PTs, OTs and admins at the SNF. From my experience the nursing home doctors don't typically get involved except when they do rounds. The staff do the heavy lifting.  They will NOT boot your Mom out after day 20. They will develop a treatment plan including after care.   My Dad spent time in these places and my Mom too. And i did 2x after surgeries. 

My Dad was sent home from the Hospital the first time only to go back in again 2 weeks later and then to the SNF for 6 weeks...long story.

Days 1-20 are Part A covered 

Days 21-100 are also Part A w a co-pay (original Medicare Plan)

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/skilled-nursing-facility-snf-care

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Mom was moved to a rehabilitation center yesterday ,insurance will allow 3 wks . there,and then she has to leave, i just don't know what will happen.

Sorry to hear about your mom, @goldensrbest .  Understand that 3 weeks is allowed by insurance and not what your mom probably needs.  Is there no one near your mom that can do the leg work for you?  Have you ever considered moving her to a facility near you?  At least you could visit and watch over her care.

Take care of yourself, too.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

My brother lives in same town,as my mom,  he is a very nice guy, but not been through this  , does not know  how to navigate this ,i am thinking,i can not go there, and her not here, so  that is the facts.

Honored Contributor

Re: My 86 yr old mom

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

My brother lives in same town,as my mom,  he is a very nice guy, but not been through this  , does not know  how to navigate this ,

"i am thinking,i can not go there, and her not here, so  that is the facts"

@goldensrbest 

Thinking? "that is the facts"?  A brother that is a very nice guy, but not been through this!  Everyone taking care of an older parent probably starts as "not been there".

When I was taking care of my mother I can say the same. I however was only 25 years old and figured out how to navigate what was available during that era. There was no "thinking" about me taking care of her, I just did, and learned as I went.

Yes, we lived in the same town, as does your "very nice guy brother". I am guessing he is older than 25 years on earth. Nice means nothing, if there is no caring for ones mother. In the same town "but not been through this"?

If you 2 love your mother, get your heads together and figure it out!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

My brother lives in same town,as my mom,  he is a very nice guy, but not been through this  , does not know  how to navigate this ,

@goldensrbest 

Thinking? "that is the facts"?  A brother that is a very nice guy, but not been through this!  Everyone taking care of an older parent probably starts as "not been there".

When I was taking care of my mother I can say the same. I however was only 25 years old and figured out how to navigate what was available during that era. There was no "thinking" about me taking care of her, I just did, and learned as I went.

Yes, we lived in the same town, as does your "very nice guy brother". I am guessing he is older than 25 years on earth. Nice means nothing, if there is no caring for ones mother. In the same town "but not been through this"?

hckynut 

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest 

hckynut 

@hckynut   Really, find your comment rude, yes ,he is a nice man,son ,and very good to my mom,   but no he has not had to deal with this before,so it is learning ,  about the health care system, must you be so assuming in what you think i was speaking of?

Honored Contributor

Re: My 86 yr old mom

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest 

Glad your brother is learning. From what you typed in your post, You said "he is a very nice guy", nothing about him doing or learning anything to help you or your mother.

As I said in my 1st post. I can relate to broken ribs and a punctured lung because I just went through the puncture part, and am still recovering from my 4 broken left ribs.

In my last post I told how I, at age 25, took care of my mother. Back then there were few things available from any government entity, and in between working different night shifts, it made it much more difficult to find any kind of assistance. 

My mother was much younger at that time than I am in the present. Several times I would come home from working my night shift to find her lying on the floor. And according to today's thinking, "I was just a kid"! I am pretty close to your mother's age, so it is very relatable to me, but we are much different in certain aspects of our lives.

hckynut 

I hope your mother gets better and works on what she can to help herself. 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest 

Glad your brother is learning. From what you typed in your post, You said "he is a very nice guy", nothing about him doing or learning anything to help you or your mother.

As I said in my 1st post. I can relate to broken ribs and a punctured lung because I just went through the puncture part, and am still recovering from my 4 broken left ribs.

In my last post I told how I, at age 25, took care of my mother. Back then there were few things available from any government entity, and in between working different night shifts, it made it much more difficult to find any kind of assistance. 

My mother was much younger at that time than I am in the present. Several times I would come home from working my night shift to find her lying on the floor. And according to today's thinking, "I was just a kid"! I am pretty close to your mother's age, so it is very relatable to me, but we are much different in certain aspects of our lives.

hckynut 

I hope your mother gets better and works on what she can to help herself. 

Please do not reply to me on here ,or any other forum.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

"You got it"!  

hckynut 

hckynut(john)