Honored Contributor

My 86 yr old mom

[ Edited ]

She has fell twice this week , she is in the hospital ribs ,broke ,puntured a lung,   looking fo info .on those necklaces one wears ,if she gets to come home,at some point, that people wear ,to contact 911.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   So sorry to hear about your mom...my grandma had one of those necklaces - life alert, I think was the name.

Respected Contributor

Ask at the hospital.  They set it up for my mom when she needed it

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

She has fell twice this week , she is in the hospital ribs ,broke ,puntured a lung,   looking fo info .on those necklaces one wears ,if she gets to come home,at some point, that people wear ,to contact 911.

@goldensrbest Oh I am sorry to hear that!  My heart goes out to you--it's a long road and I have been down it for a long time with mom.  Blessings to both of you.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest    Hospitals have social workers who arrange such services.  Ask to speak to one. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest here is a link with good information on different kinds and their prices and what the plan includes.  

Google "Best Medical Alert Systems"

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My 86 yr old mom

[ Edited ]

My mother, who's 99, has had some bad falls (are there any good falls?) over the past 20 years. The two worst resulted in a broken shoulder and a broken hip. My mother now has a 24/7 aide as well as a MedicAlert necklace. She has heart, kidney, and ambulatory problems and has used MedicAlert for almost instantaneous response by EMTs, who determine whether a trip by ambulance to the hospital is necessary. When that happens, my brother and I are called right away.

My 78 year old husband has Alzheimer's and falls often. His balance and his gait have changed and falls result. We brought a physical therapist to the house and he gave us some tips but my husband can't remember them and he accuses me of nagging if I remind him about what the PT said. I hired a full-time aide and it has helped. My husband will only let me care for him but the aide does everything else...cooking, light cleaning, laundry, even dog care. The bottom line is that the O/P's Mom probably shouldn't be alone all the time. MedicAlert may be necessary but not sufficient.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest 

i hope she is able to recover quickly.

i asked about these a few months ago and got some positive feedback AND some negative feedback. seems like some felt i was a "bad daughter" to even bring up the subject of these necklaces  to her after she fell a couple of times....one poster even said she would disinherit me if i were her daughter. my mother will be 81 this year.

you can contact a few companies to compare, including life alert. they will talk to you on the phone and send you some information in the mail if you like. once you call them and give them your information they will be calling frequently until you make a decision. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest   I'm sorry your Mom fell!
   My neighbor has an alert she uses. But lately her sons are staying there a lot I think she fell, saw her arm in a brace. 

Honored Contributor

I'd discuss it with your mother and make sure she agrees to wear and use it before I purchased any.

We wanted to get one for my mother, but she absolutely refused to wear it.