Respected Contributor

Re: Muhammad Ali

[ Edited ]

One of my heroes.  I am thinking the good thoughts for his recovery.

I hope people get more tuned into the risks of some sports.  So there can be safeguards in the sport, and there isn't so much suffering in later life from brain trauma.

ETA: In response to an earlier post,  I wish my boyfriend when I was 17 had been a "draft dodger."  (Though Ali's plea was pacifism which more people should care about.)  My boyfriend was blown up at age 19 in Vietnam, in an unjust war, for nothing.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi @Irshgrl31201

He has a close family, so that's a good thing.

Supposedly his condition was brought on from boxing, repeated hits to the head.  Very sad.

Probably similar to the chronic traumatic encephalopathy that football players have been diagnosed with due to repeated blows to their heads.

@JustJazzmom

That's what I was thinking, too.

Honored Contributor

From an AP article this morning:

"Ali has suffered from Parkinson's for three decades, most famously trembling badly while lighting the Olympic torch in 1996 in Atlanta. Despite the disease he kept up a busy appearance schedule until recently, though he has not spoken in public for years.

Doctors say the Parkinson's likely was caused by the thousands of punches Ali took during a career in which he traveled the world for big fights."

Honored Contributor

FYI:

In 1967, three years after winning the heavyweight title, Ali refused to be conscripted into the U.S. military, citing his religious beliefs and opposition to American involvement in the Vietnam War. He was eventually arrested and found guilty on draft evasion charges and stripped of his boxing title. He did not fight again for nearly four years—losing a time of peak performance in an athlete's career. Ali's appeal worked its way up to the U.S. Supreme Court, where in 1971 his conviction was overturned. Ali's actions as a conscientious objector to the war made him an icon for the larger counterculture generation.

Wiki

Esteemed Contributor

I'll never understand a so called SPORT where the objective is to see who does a better job out of beating the c**p out of their opponent or better yet knock him unconscious. Makes no sense to me.

Valued Contributor

A gentle giant!   

In Michael Jackson's autobiography, he mentioned that Ali would talk to MJ's mother all the time.  He loved her and visited their home in CA often.

Michael would say he always had something inspirational and motivational to teach him and his family.

Ali is misunderstood.  He is a man of great conviction and heart.    

Such sad news.  He was a fighter both in and out of the ring.

Valued Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

One of my heroes.  I am thinking the good thoughts for his recovery.

I hope people get more tuned into the risks of some sports.  So there can be safeguards in the sport, and there isn't so much suffering in later life from brain trauma.

ETA: In response to an earlier post,  I wish my boyfriend when I was 17 had been a "draft dodger."  (Though Ali's plea was pacifism which more people should care about.)  My boyfriend was blown up at age 19 in Vietnam, in an unjust war, for nothing.

Bless your heart, Burnsite!  

Your boyfriend was also a hero.   Unjust war totally!   

Blessings to you.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I'll never understand a so called SPORT where the objective is to see who does a better job out of beating the c**p out of their opponent or better yet knock him unconscious. Makes no sense to me.

@shaggygirl

I don't like boxing either, but it has been recognized as a sport, not so-called, for nearly three thousand years.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shaggygirl

I don't like boxing either, but it has been recognized as a sport, not so-called, for nearly three thousand years.

@shaggygirl, I think it's perfectly fine to refer to it as a "so called Sport" if you don't think it is one or if you don't think it should be one.  I don't think that means you deny  or don't recognize that it is classified as a sport.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry to report, he is now in "grave" condition.