Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Has anyone read about Muhammad Ali, Junior?

I had no idea he existed.  But he gave an interview about 2 years ago and he was literally destitue (no running water, about to be evicted, lived in the south side of Chicago) food stamps. 

But what was heartbreaking was the fact that he didn't get to see his dad much I guess because of all the wives/marriages and other children. 

Now I don't know him and what happened that he ended up in such poverty.  But I'm hoping that something was left to him---especially since his father donated to thousands of other people, without knowing their *story*.

I hope so, anyway.  Muhammad Ali, Junior has small children that need to be taken care of.

There has been followups with this story. Apparently the young man chose his own path in life that didn't sit well with either of his parents! Nothing to do with his father's "wive/marriages and other children"! 

I find that when an ENTIRE story is read then a better understanding of the whys and how comes get answered!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I had no idea he existed.  But he gave an interview about 2 years ago and he was literally destitue (no running water, about to be evicted, lived in the south side of Chicago) food stamps. 

But what was heartbreaking was the fact that he didn't get to see his dad much I guess because of all the wives/marriages and other children. 

Now I don't know him and what happened that he ended up in such poverty.  But I'm hoping that something was left to him---especially since his father donated to thousands of other people, without knowing their *story*.

I hope so, anyway.  Muhammad Ali, Junior has small children that need to be taken care of.

There has been followups with this story. Apparently the young man chose his own path in life that didn't sit well with either of his parents! Nothing to do with his father's "wive/marriages and other children"! 

I find that when an ENTIRE story is read then a better understanding of the whys and how comes get answered!

I read that he said it hurt to see his father at boys clubs and other places lovingly interacting with children, but Muhammad Ali, Jr. hardly got to see his dad.  He even said that MA seemed to give the girls (daughters) more attention.  His words, not mine.

I hope something is left to him, he is as deserving as the countless others who benefited from MA, and I'm pretty sure MA didn't know each and every person's ENTIRE story.

Good Night Ms. Marple.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I read that he said it hurt to see his father at boys clubs and other places lovingly interacting with children, but Muhammad Ali, Jr. hardly got to see his dad.  He even said that MA seemed to give the girls (daughters) more attention.  His words, not mine.

I hope something is left to him, he is as deserving as the countless others who benefited from MA, and I'm pretty sure MA didn't know each and every person's ENTIRE story.

Good Night Ms. Marple.

MA jr seems to have had one too many problems. Often rich kids are spoiled and every child in every family does not come out the same. MA jr may or may not have wanted things the easy way, most of his sister's are college educated and had stron mothers as good examples. Only the family knows the truth but from what I see, MA jr is a troubled man.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Re: Muhammad Ali

[ Edited ]

Thought I would post about going to the Ali Center yesterday for those that are interested. 

We went yesterday afternoon and it was packed during the time we were there. There are very nice and touching tributes along with flowers that people are leaving outside the Center.   On the side approach to the Ali Center we noticed all these bees flying around a mural that has a painting of Ali and the other panel has the quote "Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee".  Of course it was generating quite a bit of conversation.  

Then along came a bee keeper recognizable in his bee suit.  He set up a white box to relocate the bees that had set up home in a small tree right by that panel with the quote.  The bee keeper decided to set up the white box and still keep them near the panel since he thought it was extraordinary that out of all of the places the bees could have selected, they ended up in a tree right by that panel with the quote. The Center is located downtown Louisville next to the Ohio River.  There are all kinds of trees all over the riverfront area. But, the bees selected that tree by the panel. 

I was glad to see this made the local news since I think it would be a nice memory for Ali's family members that are now here.  Ali did return home for the last time yesterday along with his family.  I will provide the link to the news report for those that would like to read about it.  It really was kinda cool!!

http://www.wave3.com/story/32147855/muhammad-ali-center-abuzz-with-visitors

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

What a nice stgory.  Thanks for sharing.  He was a man I much admired.