Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
When I said that Great Britain is our strongest ally, I wasn’t referring to numbers but their faithfulness to support us. However if you want to talk numbers, from Wikipedia

According to the International Institute for Strategic Studies and the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, the United Kingdom has the fifth-largest defence budget in the world.
Around 150,000 regular and 35,000 reserve personnel.

@bikerbabe

Okay, but I took what you said at face value, not what you meant to say.  On any message board, that's all anyone can do.   Have a nice day.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I don't feel forced to watch anything ,about anyone. I am in control of what I watch ,and read, and listen to.

I enjoy hearing and reading about them. I think it's fun, and a bit of  escape from all the dreary news  

I don’t understand various posts that are just “I don’t like _____” 

@LTT1

And half the time, after they say "I don't like" it's followed by "they should stop it "   because THEY don't like it.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

They do their standing army different than we do, in the UK.   You seem to want to disparage them,  

The SAS taught our trained special forces a thing or 2 ,while on this mission...Like using hand signals instead of talking

It is clear you just don't like them, and that is your privilege, but I will stand up for a great people and ally when I hear them unfairly targeted..

@cherry   @Katcat1   @bikerbabe

I'm sorry if you thought I was disparaging or somehow "unfairly targeting" the UK.    I merely took current worldwide military statistics available online and read the rankings.   (No, I didn't make this stuff up.)    When I see the UK ranked #47 in the world, see link below, it's not an opinion, it's a fact.   

BTW ....  do you REALLY believe that no one else in the world ever previously thought using hand signals was a good idea?   Seriously? 

https://www.globalfirepower.com/active-reserve-military-manpower.asp

Nevertheless, this is a thread about Meghan and Harry, and I sincerely apologize for my part in de-railing that conversation.     I wouldn't presume to speak for Cherry, Bikerbabe,  and others.   

Hopefully, we can now get thread this back on track.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:
@faeriemoon
The show is called “Meghan Markle: An American Princess”

@LTT1     @faeriemoon

This is going to be a week with more programs on this couple than anyone could possibly watch.   The Nat Geo channel had a very nice program called Prince Harry the other day.  Nicely done.

Honored Contributor

@SUHsE wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

That thing about the curtesy,didn't we fight a war about that?

@Group 5 minus 1

No one outside the UK should ever be expected to curtsey .... if Brits want to do so, fine, but there is no reason any foreigner should even want to curtsey!   They have no authority with the running of the government and they are primarily a tourist attraction.    I don't think even a salute would  ever be justified.

—————————————-

Another example of why Americans  are so widely beloved🤨No arrogance with us! 

@SUHsE

May I assume you are an American?   Well then, look at another monarchy, and perhaps you'll see my point.   

Example ....   If you were on vacation and stopped by Monaco for a couple days, would you really think it necessary or expected to curtsy to Prince Albert and Princess Charlene if you saw them in a restaurant or hotel? 

While they might be nice people, they have very little relevance for most other countries worldwide ....  or people from other countries. 

(Hopefully, you get the idea.  Americans should always be polite, but certainly they owe no "allegiance" to any members of any monarchy ...  anywhere.   That isn't arrogance ... just common sense IMO.)  

Trusted Contributor

Meghan Markle is marrying the grandson of the head of the state religion.  She's already converted to that faith just recently.  I don't think it's unreasonable for her mother to show a little good faith by curtseying to the head of that church.

I'd do what was considered respectful if I was meeting the Pope.

Honored Contributor

Actually ,Pope Francis gave a genteel bow to Queen Rania, of Jordon, when he met her. He is a lovely and kind man...Sunday manners aren't just for Sundays

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Meghan's mother just went to London for the wedding, rehearsals, etc.  and to meet the Queen, Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Kate.  She needs a few days before she meets everyone to get up to speed on protocol and to practice her curtsy.  

@Pearlee. Non-British citizens are never expected to curtsy.

@Kachina624   That may be, but I've read that Meghan's mom Doria is working on her curtsy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan and Harry

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

Actually ,Pope Francis gave a genteel bow to Queen Rania, of Jordon, when he met her. He is a lovely and kind man...Sunday manners aren't just for Sundays

Okay.   And note that he is considered a religious leader, not just a figurehead like Elizabeth. 

If you look at Elizabeth's weekly schedule, a lot of her activities are arguably not religious, at all.

Who has Elizabeth ever bowed or curtsied to?   For that matter, how many times a week does she put on the robes and conduct mass?

Honored Contributor

He is both. The Vatican is a sovereign country, and he is it's leader