Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Hmmm.  I don't know that I would feel compelled to curtsy if I met the Queen.  I would certainly be polite and respectful, but a curtsy to me shows that she has some sort of power over me, which she does not.

@Puppy Lips

For people outside the UK it's about as silly as thinking you should be curtsy-ing to Kim Kardashian.    Makes no sense and there is no need to do so.   

Honored Contributor

It makes sense to me if you are a mother whose daughter is about to marry Prince Harry.  I'm sure Meghan's mom wants to be polite to the Queen (about to be her daughter's grandmother-in-law) and wants to show respect.   I don't like the idea of an American curtseying either but I can certainly understand why Doria Ragland would want to do it.

Honored Contributor
The way some people talk you would never know that England is our closest ally.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

@bikerbabe   Except for your comment, I really don't think that this thread has anything to do with politics, nor should it.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

@bikerbabe

But if things got serious, they wouldn't be all that useful to us.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I don't agree. I have a friend in the SAS and a group of them ,along with some Americans snuck in, by night ,into Afghanistan after 911. They had supplies hidden under Camo netting.There were on a mission that lasted for weeks.  It was highly secret and very dangerous

He received a gong ,for his  courage under fire, from the Queen ,,and they wiped out many Taliban. They came to the US ,as  guests of our Govt, and got to see the oval office. This was a covert action. The Brits are brave, and highly trained  ,and courageous under fire. We couldn't have any better allies

Honored Contributor
Top 10 Most Well Trained Special Forces On Earth
  • 1 British SAS. Fact - Nearly ALL the worlds Special Forces base their military model on the British SAS. ...
  • 2 Navy SEALs. The Navy SEaLs are the best the United States has to offer. ...
  • 3 Russian Spetsnaz. ...
  • 4 U.S Green Berets. ...
  • 5 The Delta Force. ...
  • 6 Shayetet 13. ...
  • 7 Pakistan Special Service Group (SSG) ...
  • 8 U.S Rangers.
Honored Contributor

I have never quite understood the fascination with the royals....perhaps we enjoy living vicariously through their wealth and fame and the glory of it all....I personally couldn't care less about any of it.....Godspeed, Meghan and Harry!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with you @lovesrecess, the only "royal" I was interested in was Diana, and now perhaps William and Kate. I agree with previous posters - the Queen is a figurehead only. There is no reason for any American citizen to bow or curtsy to her because of British protocol. Showing respect for her position can be done in other ways. I'll be skipping the wedding along with many others! Best of luck to the wedding couple.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Meghan's mother just went to London for the wedding, rehearsals, etc.  and to meet the Queen, Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Kate.  She needs a few days before she meets everyone to get up to speed on protocol and to practice her curtsy.  

@Pearlee. Non-British citizens are never expected to curtsy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment