Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I am a dog lover, we had dogs when I was growing up. Anyway, I was over by my sister, I washed a dish using a sponge she had near the sink. A little bit later I see her wash the dog's dish with the same sponge! This completely turned me off, my father didn't really like the dog's we had, we never let them lick the dishes, it would have been disrespectful to my dad. Am I wrong to be grossed out by this?

@Jordan2   So, not in the defense of the sponge issue (ewww!), but pet owners allow dogs to "kiss" them on the mouth/face, etc. We all know where that tongue has been. I don't allow Molly to do that. BTW, separate sponges/colors at my sink. I use one for dishes and another for cleaning up counters and spills that end up up on the floor.

Molly's bowls are ceramic and go in the dishwasher along with the sponges. 

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Wouldn't bother me at all...and why should it? It is no different than putting other family members' dishes together and using the same sponge. 

@Goldengate8361 @True but the other family members don't carry dead birds or mice in their mouths and they don't clean their private parts with their mouths.

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Wouldn't bother me at all...and why should it? It is no different than putting other family members' dishes together and using the same sponge. 

@Goldengate8361 @True but the other family members don't carry dead birds or mice in their mouths and they don't clean their private parts with their mouths.

Bingo!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Our dog dishes are washed in the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

Oh No!! Sorry I repeated about the dishwasher. 

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Maybe not in your family.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I am a dog lover, we had dogs when I was growing up. Anyway, I was over by my sister, I washed a dish using a sponge she had near the sink. A little bit later I see her wash the dog's dish with the same sponge! This completely turned me off, my father didn't really like the dog's we had, we never let them lick the dishes, it would have been disrespectful to my dad. Am I wrong to be grossed out by this?

@Jordan2 @You're definitely not wrong. My friend used to do this when he was a bachelor. All his female friends kept grossing him out about this and he finally got the message. 

Honored Contributor

No judgment for other opinions, but I find myself on the 'sponges are gross' anyway team.     

I know we've had the 'sponge' conversation here numerous times over the years, and I wouldn't try to make the call for anybody else but I just don't even have sponges unless it was a situation where I bought a package of them for a single task.   Darned if I can recall the rest of that but I know I've done that in the past.  

The dog  bowl part of that doesn't bother me, though.  I wash the dog bowls and the bird's bowls in the same sink and with the same tools I use for everything else.  As long as he doesn't krap in the bowl, I'm good.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Golden gate.your answer probably wasn't meant to be funny but it was funny.