Valued Contributor
The thought makes me want to BARF
When I clean our little guys dog bowl I scrubbed the sink out afterwards.
Super Contributor

@ohbygolly wrote:

First I detest sponges.That being said ,I rinse the dog bowl wipe it with a papertowel then rinse again.There are things that people do that have different comfort levels. I would not eat at their home.If she did this with you there,perhaps she does worse things when you aren't there?

On a same but very different path,if thats possible, I had a relative that while watching her grandson pee on the floor ,took out a dry mop,mopped up the pee and hung it back up in the closet pee dripping and all. Never touched foods or surfaces there again.

Stay with your comfort levels.You are not over reacting. 

OMG!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have 3 cats, but it's still the same concept. I soak my pet dishes in hot water and Dawn every evening and clean them out with a dish brush that I only use for their dishes. I would never use the same of anything on our dishes and the cats' dishes. Just can't do it!

Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe It's Just Me

[ Edited ]

I don't use a sponge to wash our dog's food and water bowls, but I do rinse them and then use a scrubbing brush and detergent on both and then rinse the brush well afterwards.

ETA: Our bowls are not dishwasher-safe.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor
That would not bother me at all, as long as soap was used for both and they were well rinsed.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I have had animals my whole life. I always put our dogs dishes in the dishwasher with our dishes. Cascade advanced pod plus an hour and 40 minute normal wash cycle. Super hot water.  I find everything clean and sanitized. Everyone has the right to there own opinion. 

Respected Contributor

No dogs but I've had cats all my life. Doesn't bother me one bit to use the same sponge (or whatever it is you use) on the cat bowls and human ones. After all, you're also using soap and rinsing the dishes. 

For example, I HATE liver. But it doesn't bother me when washing dishes that one had LIVER. 

Trusted Contributor

This is why we use sturdy paper plates for our cats.  After each meal those paper plates are thrown in the trash outside.  Water dishes can get dirty though we change the water each day...still will not use a sponge for that either.  We obviously use a ceramic bowl for their water and its a very wide/large one so their little whiskers don't get fatigued.... a real thing. 

Respected Contributor

I wash our dog bowls with hot water, detergent and a scrub brush that I also use on our dishes prior to putting them in the dishwasher.  BUT......we keep our hot water heater at the hottest setting  - so much so that sometimes the water burns my hands thru my dishwashing gloves. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I am a dog lover, we had dogs when I was growing up. Anyway, I was over by my sister, I washed a dish using a sponge she had near the sink. A little bit later I see her wash the dog's dish with the same sponge! This completely turned me off, my father didn't really like the dog's we had, we never let them lick the dishes, it would have been disrespectful to my dad. Am I wrong to be grossed out by this?

@Jordan2   Oh yuck........You are not wrong!!!!