Contributor

I was just in Macy's and you can no longer use coupons on clearance items.  It's called "last act".  The sale associate said this is new.  I was in there to buy end of season clothes for my husband and kids.  They still want $30 plus dollars for winter sweaters.   Just curious about how others feel about this.

Esteemed Contributor

There are always exclusions to coupons.

It pays to read the fine print on them.

Honored Contributor

I rarely shop at Macy's but it seems like a reasonable policy.  Most stores I know of - besides grocery stores - wouldn't allow a coupon on an item that was already marked down or sale-priced.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I rarely shop at Macy's but it seems like a reasonable policy.  Most stores I know of - besides grocery stores - wouldn't allow a coupon on an item that was already marked down or sale-priced.

Makes sense to me.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand not being able to use a coupon on sale or clearance merchandise. That is when you really get a good deal.  And this was never the case before with Macys.

While Kohls and Penneys both have exclusions on their coupons as to certain brands that they can't be used on, you can still use coupons on sale and clearance merchandise with them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's Last Act

[ Edited ]

You would think Macy's would allow the coupon, to get rid of the stuff and not have to sell it in lots later.  People aren't much interested in winter clothes now and Macy's usually has tons left at the end of a season (like Kohl's does).   I do understand that many places do not allow extra percentages off already-reduced merchandise, but given the volume that Macy's usually has left, and given that they've always honored the coupons before, this is disappointing news.

Macy's isn't doing very well and has recently closed stores.  It shouldn't be alienating the longtime customers.

Honored Contributor

I haven't spent a penny in Macy's since they wrote to Texas Governor Rick Perry* and asked him to veto a Lilly Ledbetter fair pay act for women in Texas to make it easier for women to sue over unfair pay outside of a federal court. That made it pretty clear that Macy's does not respect me and your story just furthers enforces that for me.

*Link to Politifact article with letter.

Honored Contributor

Well what a bummer! I got amazing deals from there using coupons on clearances items. For a company that is struggling, that is an interesting change in policy. 

Honored Contributor

Since other stores do allow this, and even promote it, and since they are Macy's competitors whether Macy's would admit it or not, it may not be the brightest move. 

If I knew I could use a coupon and perhaps get a $30 reduced sweater for $24, I would shop first at the coupon-allowing store and only if I didn't find anything I wanted, maybe try the store that doesn't allow the coupon. And then, if I did find something there, I would still be thinking about what I "could/should" be paying for it.

If Macy's is trying to differentiate themselves as a cut above store and not so badly off financially that they "need" to give all possible discounts, I get that. But it could be a mistake. Only time will tell. JC Penney has never recovered from their various flip-flops. They're the poster child for be careful what you mess with.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

They have always allowed the coupons on clearance.  I think it is a bad move on their part.  Macys use to be my go to store but I have barely entered the store these last few years.  The quality and merchandise just didnt feel the same.

But, yea, maybe they are starting to recoup some losses, not sure this is the right way about it, but hopefully it works out for them.  I hate to see more stores close.