Super Contributor

I was able to watch the first hour of the webinar yesterday. It wasn't exactly what I expected. I expected to see the really gruesome and graphic side of Ebola. I thought that would be the case in order to elicit more support from the global community. Maybe that's in the second hour? I'm concerned that the world doesn't seem to be stepping up. I thought what I saw in hour 1 was more a picture of courage and human kindness as opposed to factual.

A question I have is if Ebola is so easy to treat (Tylenol and fluids), why have so many healthcare workers died? I mean, it's tragic that people have to wait outside the treatment centers because there aren't enough beds, but surely they tend to the healthcare workers first (?)

I also didn't appreciate the moderator's tone. I think in the first 2 minutes she "joked" - "Don't worry. I didn't lick any doorknobs on my way (home)." That seemed inappropriate and I fail to see the humor. Oh well.

So far, it hasn't changed my questions about transmission. It was the second doctor who spoke (the balding one -sorry, I didn't catch his name), who said "There is not zero risk".

Thanks again Gato for sharing this with us. And thanks to you (and others here) for not being condescending towards those of us who may not share your opinion. It's nice to be able to have a respectful discussion, isn't it? I was tossed around on another thread a couple of days ago. I didn't appreciate it and will rethink my participation here. It's easy to see who the "ugly" people are.

Lynnj, I'm glad you were able to post your response! That has happened to me before with long responses. I think it just "times out" after a few minutes. What I've done is type long responses in a Word doc, then copy and paste here. That's a great idea about a town hall type of presentation. I think there is plenty of completely irrational fear (understandably so) in the general public because of a lack of knowledge and information about the disease. It would kind of demystify, if you will. Oh, congrats on your Eagles' win!

Honored Contributor

focksie, I've enjoyed reading your input on these threads.

Super Contributor

Thanks brii. I've enjoyed posting with you too.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

I typed out a long reply to you focksie and it didn't post

I'll try again later. I just want to say I'm glad you're watching it and you bring up good points.

And thanks for posting your thoughts and insight too Lynn.

*sigh*

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Valued Contributor

I watched the webcast. I thank you for providing the link. The webcast addressed issues surrounding ebola that I didn't know before. For instance, I wasn't aware the treatment was a fever reducer, and rehydration. It was also helpful to see treatment facilities with my own eyes. It was particularly interesting to see the meals delivered by people, and that it was not necessary for them to don the protective gear those with direct contact need when caring directly with patients. It also answered the one lingering question I had about transmission from caretakers returning from the field. I now know I cannot catch the infection from someone who develops a fever the day after I have contact with them. I feel reassured after watching the webcast, and words can't say enough how much I respect each and every person who is working on the front lines with the hope of stopping this outbreak.

Respected Contributor
Hi Focksie, I'm so glad you are watching it. There aren't any graphic photos of the dying in the webcast. The most disturbing was the image of the people waiting for beds. As the second doctor Jagatic said about that, it's unethical. It should never happen. But it is.
MSF healthcare workers have a very low infection and death rate. Those that died were working in clinics that are poorly equipped.
Dr Godfrey George, the medical superintendent of Kambia Government Hospital in Northern Sierra Leone died today. He became ill and he was transported by vehicle to Freetown. The roads are bad and with the rain travel time alone probably took well over 5 hours. The time it takes to get to a center that is equipped to handle Ebola is a major contributor to the high death rate.
I'm confident that here in the US we wont see transmission like what occurs in West Africa. With twice a day monitoring of temperature returning health care workers will know ASAP if they are starting to run a fever. At this point their blood viral load (I hope Im using that term correctly) is low. Casual contact like handling doorknobs won't put people at risk. Here we can get people to hospitals quickly. Also with the CDC protocol for travel in place no one returning from Ebola affected countries should be on public transportation. And as seen in the webcast photos there is zero concern for airborne transmission.
I do understand your concerns focksie. Thanks for making this a great discussion.
wookie, I agree about the meals. Patients sitting out in the open with just a tarp overhead waiting for their food. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and that one certainly qualifies. The security of the world depends on these brave healthcare workers. I'm so grateful to each man and woman, local and international, who are risking their lives to save every patient they see. It must be overwhelming on all levels.
_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

Many of the points made in the webcast had been presented here time and time again. I'm glad, though, that this was posted (thanks, Gato!) and that some now have a better understanding.

Valued Contributor
On 11/3/2014 Sushismom said:

Many of the points made in the webcast had been presented here time and time again. I'm glad, though, that this was posted (thanks, Gato!) and that some now have a better understanding.

Yes, it validated my belief in what the science community has been saying. It did answer the one concern I had, which was direct contact with someone the day before they registered an elevated temperature. Seeing the interactions at the field hospitals was very interesting, as well. All in all, the webcast was very informative.

Respected Contributor

Gato, your #86, well said. And I think answers Focksie's question well.

Focksie, your questions and apprehension are intelligent and good ones. I think questions still remain about our readiness and protocols here even though I'm not concerned about a pandemic.

Another thing I thought was interesting to note was that the health workers going over receive training in special centers as to how to gown up etc. No such training was given in the beginning here. Nurses were told to read the CDC poster.