Respected Contributor

First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you.  After my father passed away almost 14 years ago, I insisted that my mother get one.  She lived in a very small town in Pennsylvania, in the middle of nowhere.  Town didn't even have a stop light or internet.  However, they had a great senior center that was able to assist her in obtaining Life Alert (I don't think that's the name brand she went with but similar in all other ways).  I don't recall the cost, but I think it was somewhere around $35.month, but that was 14 years ago.  She wore it around her neck all the time.  At the time, they didn't offer different ones for different places, maybe it wasn't available then?  I just know with my sister 8 hours away from her and I was living 3000 miles away at the time, it was some peace and mind for us and my Mom. 

Trusted Contributor

My 98 yr old mom lives alone and has a Life Alert.  When she pulls on it (if she needs help) a phone number is dialed and answered and they ask my mom if she needs help.  It is not connected to 911.

They call her monthly to make sure it works.  She only has one that can be worn inside or in the shower.  I'm not sure if she go outside to the backyard if it work, but I believe so.

Super Contributor

Thanks so much, ladies, for all your responses and advice. I really appreciate the time you all took to reply.

I will definitely check out the ones mentioned, as well as the app on my iPhone. I now know that I won't be going with Life Alert.  I might just consider getting the pouch for my cell phone. But I will still research the other companies just to see what they offer. 

You are all gems!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Life Alert advice

[ Edited ]

First off, sorry for your loss.  They say if you lose a spouse or loved one, you need to take a year before making any major decisions but something in your post jumped out at me.  I too lived very rural (moved dad in with me and bought a home closer to siblings when he showed signs of dementia). It was a great move and one that served it's purpose; however, dad eventually died, and my siblings relocated.  

I was 58 back then but realized that as a single woman, as I age I needed to be closer to civilization, medical, grocery stores, etc  I took 2 years trying to decide my best option - but we don''t age backwards so I decided to check into over 55 communities, picked a model and had a one level, 2 bed 2 bath home built.   Not one step in this house!  HOA fees pay for activities, trash, the pool, the clubhouse, common grounds and snow removal in the individual driveways and sidewalks, etc   You have the option of paying extra and they do all the individual yard maintenance (cut, weed, aerate, etc)  If you have any of these in your area - maybe it's something you can consider in the future.  Whenever any of us plan to be gone for any amount of time, we alert the neighbors to check to verify that our mail has been stopped, to watch for any suspicious activity around our home and let them know how long we will be gone.

There are a LOT of activities available - some are just fellowship type activities so you can reach out and have someone to talk to (Monday morning coffee served at the clubhouse), monthly luncheons at a restaurant and you can do as many or little as you want.  They just threw out a new idea - want to start one of those "neighbors helping neighbors" type volunteer clubs.  You sign up to do whatever it is you may be willing to do -  drive ppl to doctor appts, call and check on neighbors daily, pick up groceries for them, etc   There are a TON of single women in our community, most came here with a husband for an easier lifestyle and when their spouse died, they were already in a place they could remain.  Change was HARD for me to accept but I feared living out in the country, falling in my home and no one finding me for a long time. You may be at the point where you need to rethink where you are located - I miss the gorgeous countryside but my situation/life changed and I decided I needed to make a lifestyle change to meet my new situation.  I see ppl out walking ALL the time and there are one or two that require a walker and I notice a pendant around their necks and they have a cellphone with them - I'm guessing the chances of something happening while they are out and someone not finding them would be slim to none.  

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori

I know some people who call a relative once or twice a day at a set time.  If  they don't call at those times, the relative is to assume something is wrong.  Also, my mother and another elderly neighbor live across the street from each other.  They have a "no light in the window" code.  If their light doesn't come on between such and such a time in the morning or is on all night....that is a sign something is wrong.  I like the sound of a good alert system as some others have suggested but, until then, some kind of signal between you and someone else might be a good idea.  I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Life Alert advice

[ Edited ]

@henderson wrote:

My 98 yr old mom lives alone and has a Life Alert.  When she pulls on it (if she needs help) a phone number is dialed and answered and they ask my mom if she needs help.  It is not connected to 911.

They call her monthly to make sure it works.  She only has one that can be worn inside or in the shower.  I'm not sure if she go outside to the backyard if it work, but I believe so.

I found out mine works outside last winter while i was outside shoveling snow......lol.

I looked up just as 3 police cars and my DD were arriving at my house to rescue me.........lol

Apparently I had accidently pressed on my necklace while shoveling and when I do not answer  them back when they ask if I need help,they sent  help for  me.

Super Contributor

Totally understand your situation--soinds like my life, Lost my husband of 48+ years, had both knees replaced at once 3 yars later, did 2 week in rehab because I live alone, finally installd a security system in my home and have been looking for a life alert type of device also. 

My prolem with the type you buy is that I needed to give the security code to them so they can give it to the EMT's should you have a problem and then sign a release of liability for them. This world has changed a great deal during my 80+ years and I'm not as amenable to allowing people in when I have been in the business world a long time and know how lazy they can be with background checks, etc.

My solution so far has been to get some Denim & Co pants and carry my cell phone always in my pocket. Came in handy a couple weeks ago when I fell hurrying to answe door and fell! Rolled over, called my DIL and turned out fine.

Will be glad to read all the answers that come in and maybe, I, too, will get some better idea to try out.

In the meantime, my prayers are with you at this time, and praising the Lord for your neighbors, and family that are nearby. Our Lord always supplies our needs as widows.

Super Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

First off, sorry for your loss.  They say if you lose a spouse or loved one, you need to take a year before making any major decisions but something in your post jumped out at me.  I too lived very rural (moved dad in with me and bought a home closer to siblings when he showed signs of dementia). It was a great move and one that served it's purpose; however, dad eventually died, and my siblings relocated.  

I was 58 back then but realized that as a single woman, as I age I needed to be closer to civilization, medical, grocery stores, etc  I took 2 years trying to decide my best option - but we don''t age backwards so I decided to check into over 55 communities, picked a model and had a one level, 2 bed 2 bath home built.   Not one step in this house!  HOA fees pay for activities, trash, the pool, the clubhouse, common grounds and snow removal in the individual driveways and sidewalks, etc   You have the option of paying extra and they do all the individual yard maintenance (cut, weed, aerate, etc)  If you have any of these in your area - maybe it's something you can consider in the future.  Whenever any of us plan to be gone for any amount of time, we alert the neighbors to check to verify that our mail has been stopped, to watch for any suspicious activity around our home and let them know how long we will be gone.

There are a LOT of activities available - some are just fellowship type activities so you can reach out and have someone to talk to (Monday morning coffee served at the clubhouse), monthly luncheons at a restaurant and you can do as many or little as you want.  They just threw out a new idea - want to start one of those "neighbors helping neighbors" type volunteer clubs.  You sign up to do whatever it is you may be willing to do -  drive ppl to doctor appts, call and check on neighbors daily, pick up groceries for them, etc   There are a TON of single women in our community, most came here with a husband for an easier lifestyle and when their spouse died, they were already in a place they could remain.  Change was HARD for me to accept but I feared living out in the country, falling in my home and no one finding me for a long time. You may be at the point where you need to rethink where you are located - I miss the gorgeous countryside but my situation/life changed and I decided I needed to make a lifestyle change to meet my new situation.  I see ppl out walking ALL the time and there are one or two that require a walker and I notice a pendant around their necks and they have a cellphone with them - I'm guessing the chances of something happening while they are out and someone not finding them would be slim to none.  

Yes you are correct in all that you said in your post, Financialgrl. I am considering selling this house. But, like you stated, I'm waiting until next spring to put it on the market. In the meantime I'll be here until Christmas. Then I have a condo in florida that is a 55 plus with tons of amenities. 

But with my impending surgery in 2 weeks, and this place being so rural, I just want to feel safe for the time I will be spending here.

thanks so much for your reply. 

Super Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and think that it is very wise you are considering a medical alert device. My mother had Life Alert, mother-in-law had Alert 1.  The Life Alert my mother had had fire detection.  One time we burned something in the oven and since the fire alarms went off a man from the call center came on the box to ask if we were ok or needed to have the fire department come out.  That part of the device only works if you have a landline phone.

I would look into the medical alert devices that have fall detection built in.  If they sense a fall help is called automatically.

To me if you live alone this device is necessary.  Wearing your cell phone does not work if you are having a stroke or heart attack and don't have clarity of thinking to make a call. Just something to consider.

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori -

I had a flyer in my mail today -

The website is:

medicalalert dotcom backslash blair

The company offers home only service, with and without landline, and on-the-go GPS as well - whatever you need. The prices range from $30-40/mo paying month-to-month, and slightly less if you pay 6 months or a year in advance.

If you use the "blair" at the end of the address string, you get free shipping and a free "lockbox", which looks to me like a combination lock - a more sophisticated version of a school locker lock.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all