Frequent Contributor

New warning (or not) for those received Social Security Checks

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/seniors-beware-new-con-targets-social-security-checks/

If it's not fraudulant emails about bank accounts or scam phone calls it's now this.

Honored Contributor

Re: New warning (or not) for those received Social Security Checks

I have never understood how reasonably intelligent people suddently get so stupid in their retirement.  You wouldn't have fallen for this when you were 30 or 40 or 50, so why now?  Be on your guard, people. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Funny you should post this.  I got a call this morning.  It was from our local Sheriffs office asking if I was Bonnie and my husband was _____.  I never say YES so I said.  "what is this about."  It was about Federal Court.. something about being on a jury.  I am a retired teacher and have had 30 years of my rough and tough kids that I taught trying to put ONE OVER on Me.  So in my TEACHER VOICE, I said you have your records wrong.  No one my age is ever called to jury duty, nor my husband's age .. older then I.  This SHERIFF GENTLEMEN STAMMERED, THEN HESITATED and said We are going to send over police, expect them in a half hour.  Then he hung up. 

We live rural, a small town atmosphere.  I called the real sheriff and within a half hour a deputy was at the door taking down information and making sure we were safe.  I told him it was nice of him but not necessary.  He then said we want to check out anything that pertains to their good name.  Believe it or not it was one of my former students. 

My neighbor, my friend then called and asked me what happened. I love her to death but she is the neighborhood " I have to know everything."  I simply told her my hubby was taken out in handcuffs.  We had a good laugh and I then told her the truth. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Funny you should post this.  I got a call this morning.  It was from our local Sheriffs office asking if I was Bonnie and my husband was _____.  I never say YES so I said.  "what is this about."  It was about Federal Court.. something about being on a jury.  I am a retired teacher and have had 30 years of my rough and tough kids that I taught trying to put ONE OVER on Me.  So in my TEACHER VOICE, I said you have your records wrong.  No one my age is ever called to jury duty, nor my husband's age .. older then I.  This SHERIFF GENTLEMEN STAMMERED, THEN HESITATED and said We are going to send over police, expect them in a half hour.  Then he hung up. 

We live rural, a small town atmosphere.  I called the real sheriff and within a half hour a deputy was at the door taking down information and making sure we were safe.  I told him it was nice of him but not necessary.  He then said we want to check out anything that pertains to their good name.  Believe it or not it was one of my former students. 

My neighbor, my friend then called and asked me what happened. I love her to death but she is the neighborhood " I have to know everything."  I simply told her my hubby was taken out in handcuffs.  We had a good laugh and I then told her the truth. 

_______

Now that is a great story!

Respected Contributor

I have one of those neighbors in my area too - she knows everything about everybody.  And if she can't find any good gossip, she just makes it up.  Your story was hilarious!

Honored Contributor

Prosecute that kid, I would. Brat.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Prosecute that kid, I would. Brat.

I think she meant the deputy was a former student.  

My grandmother was also a teacher.  I was visiting her after she had retired.  She had put the garbage out, but they had passed by without picking it up.  She called whoever was in charge (a former student) and told him they had missed her garbage.  Very shortly after that, they had come back to get her garbage!

Frequent Contributor

@shopped out wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/seniors-beware-new-con-targets-social-security-checks/

If it's not fraudulant emails about bank accounts or scam phone calls it's now this.

Here's some information that may be helpful to all:  Husband and I have been getting

fraudulant emails from supposedly Amazon and several banks.  Half the time

the words are misspelled or the logos are wrong.  Funny thing we don't have

accounts at some of the banks or have no orders due from Amazon.  We forward

them to the following:

stop-spoofing@amazon.com

reportphish@wellsfargo.com

abuse@bankofamerica.com

abuse@chase.com

Do NOT open the emails, just click forward or check the box and then forward.

The companies can trace them back.

And we immediately check our accounts for fraudluant activity.

On phone calls, never answer yes, especially to the one that asked "Can yiou

hear me?",  It is being recorded  and edited that you have agreed to a scam.

Just say what ever you want except yes or hange up.

Honored Contributor

@depglass  Makes me wonder, too,  except that I know any number of people retired for 20+ years and there are too many of them who truly do not think as quickly as they used to and many of that number don't pay much attention to social media where they would see others talking about these scams.

Sometime I'd love to see a breakdown of who it is that gets caught most often in these schemes.  I always think the vast majority must be over 80 or 85 and live alone, but what I think and what reality is could be vastly different.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Social Security Numbers have to stop being treated as top secret.  I had my identity stolen in May.  Not sure how they got my information and the one card they were able to open at Kohls before I froze my reports was used in a state 700 miles away.  I shred everything.  Don't fall for phone and e-mail scams.  I did get a letter of being part of a data breach involving security clearance data a few years ago when I was a federal contractor so maybe that was it.  But now I worry that when I am ready to file for Social Security someone will rattle off my name, birthday, social #, and take my benefits, redirect my check, etc.  They need to fix the system so people can protect themselves should their information be breached...either via a password or something done in person showing ID.  Not just via a phone call or webform.