Super Contributor

Life Alert advice

[ Edited ]

Because my husband passed away 2 months ago, I am considering life alert. I live in a very rural area. Right now I have people around because it's summer. A very good neighbor and my granddaughter are here. But come September, I will be totally alone. 

I called them for prices. They quoted 89.00 a month for 3 devices. One in the home, one in the bathroom, and one you take with you anywhere. 

Then the second one quoted was 69.00 a month. That just eliminates the one in the bathroom

It sounds expensive to me. If I do decide, I would choose the second quote for 69.00. If there's a device in the house I'm not sure how necessary the bathroom one is. My house isn't huge. 

I know now there's an app on the iPhone similar to life alert. I'm wondering about that. Anyone use that app?

I really was just looking for one device in the home but the sales person didn't mention only one device. I suppose he was promoting the more expensive plans. 

I'm having TKR on my other knee. I had the right one done in September of last year and I did well. Of course I had to postpone the left knee until now because of my husband's illiness and passing. 

So I think it is imperritive to get something but I'm just asking for advice at this point. 

My sister will stay with me a while. Maybe 2 weeks. Then I will go it solo (with God by my side). I can't go and stay with my sister because I need to do the very important physical therapy where I live. She lives in another state and my insurance doesn't carry to other states. 

So I'm just trying to do what's best for me at this point.  I'm also battling the sadness and grief that goes along with loosing a spouse.  It's the worst experience of my life. 

I was with his siblings yesterday at a graduation party.  I thought "their lives continues and I'm still so terribly sad".  That's how it goes. Nothing compares with loosing a spouse of 43+ years. 

Anyway, enough ranting. Lol. Your opinions will be very much appreciated. And I thank you all in advance. 

Esteemed Contributor

Some time ago, I  looked into the one sold on HSN.  But I returned it because the  device did not have a GPS connection. If I ever do purchase one, I defintely want a GPS connection. What if a person gets hur/falls and cannot speak??

Respected Contributor

Do you have a cell phone you can just carry with you and call 911 if you need it? That just seems like a big expense when basically the phone will do the same thing  I'm sorry about your loss.  

Trusted Contributor

@Ditzydori

I am so sorry about the loss of your hubby.  Prayers for you as you continue your battle of sadness and grief.  Many cyber hugs for you.  And now your knee.  Goodness.  

I dont know know anything about life alerts or apps.  Would be interested to learn.  

Take good care of yourself.  Eat, drink water.  Good luck with your upcoming knee surgery!  

Super Contributor

Thank you so much Dawniee. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know much about the life-alert devices but I would ask your surgeon and insurance company about being admitted to a rehab facility for two weeks after your knee replacement.  Then maybe your sister could help drive you to physical therapy until you are able to drive, @Ditzydori.  

My husband is a week out from a knee replacement.  I'm lugging around his icing machine and knee exercising contraption numerous times a day.  My back is screaming at me.

Super Contributor

hmmm. That's very true, Corita.  I'll have to look into that. 

Super Contributor

Re: Life Alert advice

[ Edited ]

Tansy,  they simply wouldn't send me last time. Perhaps if I explain that now I'm alone they would consider it. I will certainly ask next week when I see the dr for pre op visit. 

Last time I didn't have an ice machine. Just ice packs. 

I know a cell does does the same thing. I guess I could wear a belt an carry it in a pouch all the time. My wardrobe doesn't have many items with pockets. I just thought hanging something around my neck would be good. But, of course, the expense. I'm just at the thinking phase right now. 

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Lifeline is the one I have -  got it after my husband died ten years ago because my house is 3 levels - and backyard.  My neighbors are close but would be no help should I fall down the basement stairs. I have one Lifeline machine connected to land-line phone - and a alert button around my neck.  Cost $40 some/month and I pay for 6 months in advance to avoid writing monthly checks or giving my financal numbers out.  Mail check to Boston - this unit was tested by the installer to reach from backyard to mailbox to upstairs & basement level..  One machine is all I have.  They make you check in monthly to test the equipment.  Once I had to mail my neck alert back for a new one because the battery pooped out.  That's very normal.  That $80 +  sounds too expensive to me.  Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Honored Contributor

Re: Life Alert advice

[ Edited ]

I bet you will receive a different answer this time, @Ditzydori.  Don't mention your sister.  Good luck to you.