Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

We have a land line and I will never be without it. For decades it was my main source of communicating with my hundreds of hockey players/ family and friends.

My smart cell phone I only have for certain situations, and that is seldom, and used only for talking. Techno-nut, but that excludes this  distracting/dangerous and conversation-killing piece of technology.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Literally the only reason we have it is because it's bundled with our internet.  If I cancel the landline, our internet will increase dramatically.  I'm so sorry I bundled those services.

I never use it.  I never pick up the few calls that come through on it.  I only have one cordless phone actually plugged in now.  I don't even know the phone number to that line.  I'd have to look it up.  

All   communication is done through our cells...

@Bri36 same here - stupid bundling.  I literally could not tell anyone our home number if I had to.  I have the # stored in my phone lol.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Literally the only reason we have it is because it's bundled with our internet.  If I cancel the landline, our internet will increase dramatically.  I'm so sorry I bundled those services.

I never use it.  I never pick up the few calls that come through on it.  I only have one cordless phone actually plugged in now.  I don't even know the phone number to that line.  I'd have to look it up.  

All   communication is done through our cells...

@Bri36 same here.  I literally could not tell anyone our home number if I had to.  I have the # stored in my phone lol.

@Mj12, Happy New Year!

I only know the first 3 digits.  I have to look up the rest of the number.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Happy New Year, @Bri36!

Honored Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

We still have a land line. Won't be getting rid of it just to use our cell phones. We use it everyday and use it more then our cells. Cells we got just in case of emergancies when we are out and about. Much more reliable then our cells for home use.

Same here.  No plans to ever get rid of land line.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeeYou're lucky.  My next-door neighbor went to Ooma last year and rarely gets a great connection,  Jusr a few days ago, all the background sounds make me feel as if I were still in the middle school as classes were changing.

One of these days, I might go totally cellular, but it won't be Ooma -  unless I move and find out that neighborhood gets better reception than my current one.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@SilleeMeeYou're lucky.  My next-door neighbor went to Ooma last year and rarely gets a great connection,  Jusr a few days ago, all the background sounds make me feel as if I were still in the middle school as classes were changing.

One of these days, I might go totally cellular, but it won't be Ooma -  unless I move and find out that neighborhood gets better reception than my current one.

@millieshops,

I'm very thankful that I have very good internet service. The connection has always been a good one and never have I experienced any serious problems with it. We have fiber optic in our area and this is much better than the older DSL, which many people still use because fiber optic is not available in their area. That could be the reason why your neighbor has had a bad experience with the Ooma. Hard to say really.

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

We still have a landline.  It doesn't need recharging.  It works when the power goes out.  

That's why I keep it too, @cotton4me  We have a wireless phone system in the house and our cell phones, but I bought an old fashioned plug-in phone to use in case of an earthquake or the power going out.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox My dh and I each have our cell phones, but kept our landline. We use the landline for all business related issues. Neither of us want all kinds of calls coming to our cells. My dh also does not like to talk for any length of time on his cell. He says it's harder to hear than on our landline.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

My landline was only about $400 a year but I stopped it after hubby passed.

He was the only one who used it, well him & the telemarketers.

I live near a very large metro area, I have excellent cell service but I prefer text.   I was never much of a chatter and now my hearing isn't so great.   I only talk on the phone when it's an emergency.    Not a 911 emergency but only when I can't text for whatever reason.

We found out during the tornado outbreak  in 2011 that when cell phones don't seem to work, you can still text.   Only people with cell phones were able to communicate by text, not voice, until the towers got back up.