Honored Contributor

Re: KATHERINE PARR, HENRY VIII'S LAST QUEEN

See message 34

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Wasn't the best of times back then when stuff was getting as the English say

"sorted out". Glad now we live in a time when nobody cares what religion we are and all is tolerated.

Greed and power, I' m afraid will always be with us till the end of time.

Wish things were really all that well sorted and that all was tolerated.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

While they were doing the sorting , innocent people were being persecuted ,and it went on for hundreds of years..

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

Even though religious tolerance seems normal to us, in many places around the world today there is little religious tolerance. The young lady recently granted asylum in Canada is a good example of the ongoing struggle.

I think Katherine Parr was extremely lucky to have escaped punishment for openly espousing her religious views. Other than the wish to divorce and probably the need to fill his empty coffers with riches plundered from the abbeys, Henry would have died a Catholic. He retained much of the pageantry and practices. Perhaps by this time Henry was so ill and obese that he didn’t have the energy or will to persecute the one person who was willing to put up with him and was a comforting presence. Without Katherine’s influence on the succession, England’s history would be quite different. She is a fascinating person. She and Anne of Cleves both had some common sense. Anne of Cleves (4th wife) gladly let Henry annul their marriage and retired with a generous settlement, free from her domineering family and the whims of Henry. She outlived all the wives.

@Oznell Thank you for reminding us of the rich history that abounds!