Honored Contributor

Re: KATHERINE PARR, HENRY VIII'S LAST QUEEN

Thanks for the great recommendation, @maestra!

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Isn't that fascinating that when Eliz I died she had the son of the Catholic Mary, Queen of Scots to be her heir. Thankfully, he wasn't raised Catholic, though.

Took her awhile, but, she took care of ol ' Mary and the threat.

She defeated PHillip of Spain too (Catholic) on the seas who wasn't gonna stop till he got rid of her and turned all of England Catholic.

I'm sure you've watched both Elizabeth DVD's with what's her name in the lead.   Great movies ! Daniel Craig, in his early days was one of the people who tried to kill her in the movie.

My interests lie in a smattering of French, Russian and mostly English history. Could care less about the Far East/Asian history. I would rather discuss , though, off of the Q boards. LOL

Yes, Bloody Mary was almost as bloody as Elizabeth, her father Henry VIII, and her successors.  If you enjoy history as much as I do, you might appreciate learning about just a few of the many Catholic men and women who died at their hands -- from Thomas More ("A Man for All Seasons"), to Margaret Clitherow, Anne Line, John Fisher, Edmund Campion, John Boste, John Almond, John Stone, Edmond Arrowsmith, Ambrose Edward Barlow, John Boste, Alexander Briant, Eustace White, Philip Evans, Thomas Garnet, David Lewis, Edmund Gennings, Henry Walpole, John Griffith, Richard Gwyn, John Houghton, Philip Howard, John Kemble, Luke Kirby, Robert Lawrence,  John Lloyd, Cuthbert Mayne, John Wall, Henry Morse, Robert Southwell, Nicholas Owen, John Payne, Polydore Plasden, Augustine Webster, John Plessington, Richard Reynolds, Swithin Wells, John Rigby, John Roberts, Alban Bartholomew Roe, Augustine Webster, Ralph Sherwin, John Southworth ...

So much blood shed on each side after Thomas More declared to Henry VIII that he was "the king's good servant, but God's first."  History broadens and enriches us -- how I love reading it!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@SharkE

Sharke!  Your story telling is FASCINATING!  I know you're giving the condensed version, but it's so interesting.

Catherine the Great always intriqued me, but honestly I don't know the whole story--in depth.

Do you have any interesting facts about her?

Your posts about this--I consider *easy reading*---considering the subject....!!

ttps://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-didnt-know-about-catherine-the-great

pretty well sums it all up. The movie with Catherine Zeta Jones and Vanessa Redgrave is very good seems to be accurate. Think it's just called Catherine the Great. Her husband was loony as a toony I didn't blame her for ousting him and taking over.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Sharke, she really did reach in to save him..i dont think it was quite as dramatic as movie, but she did reach in ice, and lend a hand. I think he was lost under the ice for a bit according to the "Royal Story"

Honored Contributor

I have been inside Holy Rood castle.  that place still smells.  I know I have an overly sensitive nose.  As we went up this ledge stone staircase you could still faintly smell body odor.  No kidding.  I cant imagine the smell in those castles!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might want to read about the dissolution of the monasteries, that stopped people from getting help  from the church. The monks taught people to read, and treated them free for medical problems.They had libraries, ethey employed local people,fed the poor. There were riots in England over this.( The Pilgrimage of Grace)

You also might want to read what was done to the Irish, with the penal laws. How they were turfed out of their homes, denied their human rights. Were forbidden to educate their children, to practise their religion, to vote ,or have any say in politics.They couldn't inherit  property ,  or own a horse, that cost more than 5 pounds, It went on and on. It also led to the 1916 uprising  , and a free state in Southern Ireland

Oliver Cromwell was a terrible person, and so was Wolsey

Honored Contributor

Wasn't the best of times back then when stuff was getting as the English say

"sorted out". Glad now we live in a time when nobody cares what religion we are and all is tolerated.

Greed and power, I' m afraid will always be with us till the end of time.

Contributor

Elizabeth was followed by James I, who was paranoid and debauched.

Contributor

I just picked up the movie A Man For All Seasons at the library.  Old but educational.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE

@Oznell

This is fascinating stuff -- and I confess to being lazy about reading up on it.

However, one thing that makes me wonder....why the beheadings?  Why not exile the queen or "offending" wife.

One of my favorite (fictional, I am sure) royal movies is The Lion in Winter.  Mostly, because I love Peter O'Toole and Katherine H.

It is a strange movie, but very satisfying to watch.  Have no idea if there is any truth to the story.  

But, it made me wonder about the beheadings rather than exiles.