Esteemed Contributor

Re: KATHERINE PARR, HENRY VIII'S LAST QUEEN

@shoekitty

How odd -- suppose the stone absorbed the stink? Cat LOL

Perhaps just old and moldy.  The smelliness of the places is something I never thought of.  I suppose the level of cleanliness left something to be desired.

Yikes!

Respected Contributor

I'm waiting w/bated breath for Hilary Mantel's last book in the Thomas Cromwell trilogy.

I have and love Wolf Hall, Bring Up the Bodies by the same author; a lot of chatter about the fact that this last book has taken so long to complete.

Hilary Mantel's research is in depth and meticulous in use of resources.

Respected Contributor

@LoriMN @Oznell

@LoriMN wrote:

I just picked up the movie A Man For All Seasons at the library.  Old but educational.

This movie won the Oscar in 1966 and was beautifully done; it was Vanessa Redgrave's 1st role in amajor movie (she plays Anne Boleyn).

Paul Scofield was powerful yet understated as St.Thos. More .

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@SharkE

@Oznell

This is fascinating stuff -- and I confess to being lazy about reading up on it.

However, one thing that makes me wonder....why the beheadings?  Why not exile the queen or "offending" wife.

One of my favorite (fictional, I am sure) royal movies is The Lion in Winter.  Mostly, because I love Peter O'Toole and Katherine H.

It is a strange movie, but very satisfying to watch.  Have no idea if there is any truth to the story.  

But, it made me wonder about the beheadings rather than exiles.

Wasn't a good idea to make the King "a cockold" hhahaha otherwise to marry a king and then have affairs behind his back and actually think you could get by with it. Catherine Howard was young and dumb and stupid enough to think she could have all the money, jewels and glory of being Queen and have her younger companions on the side. Duh? I know.

I think in the case of the other gal he was afraid she might gather her own army and unite with another country probably the French and come back and get rid of him. They didn't take chances back then. If you ran afoul of the King or Queen they had the power to behead you, burn you at the stake, hang you hung, drawn and quartered , but, still keep you alive. ( they would hang you till almost dead) don't want to go into detail on the rest of it. 

If you were poor and just wanted to go hunting on the King's property and you killed a deer to take home you could get your hands cut off, etc.

If the King took a fancy to you you had no choice but hit the bed.

Anne Boleyn , by the way , sister had 2 kids by the King. Movie on that too called 'The Other Boleyn', her name was Mary. She had a son by him, but, he was illegitimate he could be given favors, title , but, couldn't be King. A son & daughter. They had plenty of kids on the side. That goes for everybody French, Spanish, English, Russians

I would had wanted no part of being Queen then or now. LOL

No, thanky!

Respected Contributor

i recommend the Antonia Ftasier bios  of Henry and his wives.....and especially Mary Queen of Scots

Honored Contributor

make sure it's a work of non-fiction and not fiction based.

Honored Contributor

Oznell,

Thank you for your facts about Katherine Parr, I was aware of some of what you stated and found her a fascinating historical figure, especially keeping the peace with volatile Henry and restoring the children to their rightful place at court.

I read a couple of books on Catherine the Great and Marie Anoniette, and a few other queens.  I enjoy  the history of the Queens and wish I had more time to read about them. I am enjoying Victoria on Masterpiece Theater but than I enjoy everything Masterpiece offers.  Have a good evening!  

Contributor

@maestra  I loved Hillary’s first two novels, and I did not know there was another coming.  Thanks for the info.  I am addicted to Tudor and all royal history.

Honored Contributor

wow, thanks for all the info on Katherine Parr.

quite interesting to read.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is an interesting book, The Other Boleyn  girl about Ann’s, or Anne’s 

if you prefer, sister Mary.  She had an interesting life and was Henry’s mistress before Ann.

I’m a bit of a history lover myself.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras