Respected Contributor

Re: KATHERINE PARR, HENRY VIII'S LAST QUEEN

I visited the Tower of London where Anna Boleyn,Catherine Howard,  and Lady Jane Grey lost their heads along with several other British nobility.

Very interesting place....the gift shop has a mini gillotine kit that you can put together ( creepy) 😳

Honored Contributor

They even took lizzie borden and tarted her up with lesbian overtones !

They will do anything to sell books, dvd's, movie of the week.

Stick to the facts, people, they're bad enough don't have to pander to

the fiction lovers who want more tardy stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I visited the Tower of London where Anna Boleyn,Catherine Howard,  and Lady Jane Grey lost their heads along with several other British nobility.

Very interesting place....the gift shop has a mini gillotine kit that you can put together ( creepy) 😳

When I was there back in '94 I bought a DVD of the jewels. To many people to really get a good look at them. Your on a conveyor belt , moving along, moving along LOL I like the story about the ravens.

Wish i could go back and really do it right. I was also in the room where Mary, Queen of Scots watched her musician get stabbed to death in Scotland. 

Respected Contributor

It's been many years since I read about Henry and Katherine and the previous wives but I do recall feeling how he must have had great respect for Katherine and even amazement that he could have loved her deeply given his previous marital pattern.  I also wondered if he wasn't simply worn down from murdering his wives and decded this one was worthy of some honor.  At any rate, she was clearly a force of her own and it is a shame that she didn't get to live a long life.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Katherine Parr almost lost her head  when it was discovered she was a Protestant because  by this time, Henry was beginning to revert back to his former Catholic beliefs .  He did seem to have a great deal of respect for her though as she was able to flatter him and he was taken in by her witty explanation.. As it turned out both Elizabeth and Edward were receptive to the religious teachings of their step-mother Katherine Parr, who they both adored..

Since I'm not an expert on English royal history,   would appreciate it if anyone has anything to add or subtract from my above comments.  It is certainly a fascinating subject but certainly all scholars don't necessarily agree on the details.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

It's been many years since I read about Henry and Katherine and the previous wives but I do recall feeling how he must have had great respect for Katherine and even amazement that he could have loved her deeply given his previous marital pattern.  I also wondered if he wasn't simply worn down from murdering his wives and decded this one was worthy of some honor.  At any rate, she was clearly a force of her own and it is a shame that she didn't get to live a long life.

By this time in this life, it is probable that Henry's s...... desires had burned out and he was also miserable because of  health issues.  Katherine seemed to be a good communicator and was able to somewhat soothe Henry's many concerns.  His other affairs seemed to be based strictly on that one thing and without any real substance until she came into his life.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

No, I've not seen it, @ms traditional.  Have you, and if so, would love to get your thoughts.  Does the "poetic licence" (if that's the phrase, ha) turn you off, as it does @SharkE, or do you get swept into the story, regardless?

@Oznell  i love historical drama especially of that period  - but this was a disappointment for me. i was wondering if it was just me.  

Honored Contributor

Such a different time back then. It was important to always have the male heir to carry on whoever politics was in power at the time. I think Katherine had to be fast on her feet to save her head she was lucky to get to him first before the papers were served on her.

Felt sorry for the first wife she got dealt a bad hand because she never had a son. Have to hand it to her she made it rough for him to get rid of her and she was popular with the masses , so, he just kept moving her around to castle to castle that were run down, no heat, cut her off from her daughter, etc. Till she finally died, some reports said she had cancer, too. Who knows.

Anne, should had took a q from her sister and been happy with less.

LOL She overplayed her hand.

The most stupid of all of them was Catherine Howard! I got no pity for that one . Watch that PBS series starring Keith Michell that's the closest 1 for the truth.

Anne of Cleves was the true winner ! He wanted to get rid of her so bad and the feeling was mutual. She was German he English. She ended up pensioned off in her own home, servants, money and granted the title of 'sister' to the King. She made out.

Poor Jane gave birth to the son and died soon after back then women got infections nobody washed their hands, no sterile conditions, no antibiotics. Awful medical practices back then.

They would had all fared up better if they would leave the running of the Kingdom to him and his cabinet. He was in so much pain when he died and the Catholic priest kept at him to where he would admit to about anything just to be rid of him and the priest was reported to had said "he died in the only true religion".

People get confused about that whole story. He just (LOL) beheaded 2. They got off better then some people in that time in history. Burned at the stake, hung, drawn and quartered. Heads on spikes so as to send message to people who would try to commit treason, assassinate, etc.

The son by the way was raised protestant and died around 15.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Sharke!  Your story telling is FASCINATING!  I know you're giving the condensed version, but it's so interesting.

Catherine the Great always intriqued me, but honestly I don't know the whole story--in depth.

Do you have any interesting facts about her?

Your posts about this--I consider *easy reading*---considering the subject....!!

Respected Contributor

Suggested content reading: The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Lady Antonia Frasier. Educational and entertaining as well.

I have nearly a whole bookshelf dedicated to fiction and mostly biographies of Tudor and Elizabethan (some Jacobean) personalities.  One of my hobbies...