Esteemed Contributor

I think it is ok. I have seen dogs in Walmart, Target and Marshalls.  There is no sign on the doors not to bring your dog. IMHO, they are usually well behaved and better than children who are running through the stores and up aisles disrupting the shoppers. FYI, I am a dog lover and have found it to be a pleasant experience.

Respected Contributor

OK.  I am not going to be popular here on this issue, but here goes anyway.  I see small dogs riding in the child seat of carts in Walmart.  Service Dog?  Possible, but I doubt it.  Don't service dogs generally walk beside you?  On a leash? And have on a vest type harness that states Service Dog?

How many times do you grab a few food items while shopping for other things?  Eggs, Fruit, Bread, etc is generally put in that child seat in the cart.  Does everyone put their bananas in the available fruit & veggie bags?  

I used to be a supervisor/weekend manager of a nursing home kitchen for 400+ Residents.  Cross contamination is huge, and can make many people very ill.  Especially the elderly.  It only takes one person to not follow safe handling of a food item, or even improperly washed utinsils to make someone, or many sick.

Where has that dog been that is in that cart?  What is on that dog in that cart?  Most are sitting on the child seat.  Enough said.

Thanks for letting me vent.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I agree. I'm not a "dog person", but there are places dogs don't belong. Just recently, I've seen dogs everywhere! I know people will attack me for stating my feelings. Many people started bringing their dogs to baseball games lately. I do not feel they need to be there, for fear of dogs attacking each other (you never how dogs react to other dogs).  I'm slightly scared of all large dogs. I was trying to walk around a rather large dog on a leash, but the owner kept letting it come closer to me, thinking I wanted to pet the dog. Even if dogs are on a leash, they can try to bite other dogs, or people. I wish more people were considerate  of people who are not "pet people". 

Ps. I know I'll regret posting this.

Esteemed Contributor

I find it really hard to believe that a grown woman would think she could bring her dog into all stores in a strip mall just because there was a Pet Smart there.  That assumption was ridiculous.  I think we all know that dogs are not welcome everywhere, and for good reason.  It was up to her to check (and comply with) the policies.

I'm a dog lover and have been since I got my first dog at age 4.  But they don't belong everywhere.

Valued Contributor

What is the store policy?   Pits are the sweetest dogs I have ever owned including my poodles and malteses.   Our local Vet has 5 of them.  Such a shame that humans training them to fight have given them such a bad name.  Our last Pits was killed by a German Shepherd and she never bit back but our Poodle was the one biting the Shepherd.    Very few stores allow dogs unless they are service dogs, Tractor Supply, any dog store and a few brick and mortar but not many in all.  I would never assume that because Pet Smart was in a strip mall I could take my dogs in.   Shame it was the breed that had to be brought up as they always get bad raps from certain people that are unfamiliar to them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just a Question today

[ Edited ]

You should abide by the laws of which stores allow pets. I do understand dogs people need for guidance such as blind people etc. They are allowed in places so that is fine, but bringing a pet animal where there's no pets allowed "just because" is wrong.

And Ps i always think of this. When we used to go see my dad in the home, his one room mate had the dog brought in "on occassion". Fine, but we had to leave then, and  when we go to Pet Smart for some cat stuff (which isn't that much). I know they allow pets and 'that's fine. But my husband is deathly allergic to dogs and cant breather IF hes around them "a long time". (and no allergy shots don't work there's too many breeds) But, 'that's my husbands issue not the pet owners, so we just move away from the dogs or leave if its in a small space where the dog is.

So this pet owner has to adapt too, and not go in stores where pets are not allowed.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Another NO.  I don't think it was ok.

Honored Contributor

Here we go again...

Honored Contributor

Re: Just a Question today

[ Edited ]

It's been on the news here in Florida that the powers that be are seeing the need to crack down on this attitude people have now that they can bring their animals anywhere they please. Other people should not have to tolerate someones dog - who may or may not be well trained and behaved - where ever they go. 

Here in Florida there is a much higher % of the population are widows who get themselves a small dog for company. Wonderful! However, they don't train them so they become a beast, not an adorable pet, and then they take them everywhere they go and subject the entire population to their bad behavior.If your going to buy a dog, at least know some basic things about owning a dog before you get it. There is a lot more to know than just feed it and take it on walks on a leash. Over the course of my adult life I owned 3 dogs - a basset mix and 2 weimaraners. All large dogs. Each one was a better experience than the previous one because from each of them I learned a little more.I'm not saying all dogs have to be professionally trained, but EVERY dog requires to be trained. I think now a days it seems the dogs are better at training their owners than the owners are at training the dogs.

Honored Contributor

I would rather see a dog in a store that some people Ive seen.

I think the real issue here was because it was a Pit Bull, if it had been a little yorkie, it most likely would not have gotten any complaints.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)