Esteemed Contributor

Let me start by saying that I am a dog lover however, I truly feel that dogs (except service dogs) DO NOT belong in any type stores that the general public shops in .... people are all different & some don’t want to deal with dogs in the store ... I for one do not trust pit bulls &  will remove myself ASAP from their presence ... even when I am in a vets office if a pit bull is in the waiting room I wait my turn in the car .... they are an unpredictable breed & I don’t take any chances.

Honored Contributor

Earlier this week we went to an outdoor outlet mall. We took our 10 year old collie with us. The mall is over an hour away and we knew we would be gone for awhile. That is why we take him. You are outside, except if you walk into a store.

We took him into two stores (Merrill Shoes and Eddie Bauer). Both stores said he was welcome to come in. But he spent most of his time looking into the store through the windows. We would not consider taking him into a store without a store employee coming up to us and asking us to come in.

We did not even consider taking him into other stores we went to. I went into Harry and David and would not consider taking a dog into a store that had food items. I know my dog would not be interested but I wouldn't care to see any dog in a shop that sold food items.

Our collie has no interest in other people. He only wanted to follow my husband. So we mostly sat and watched my husband try on boots and shoes. I don't think most people in the store knew there was a dog in the store. Except when they came up to pet him.

I would never consider taking him into a Department store or a store that was inside a mall. In fact except for Petco and Pet Smart and the outdoor outlet mall, we don't take him shopping any other time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@Mom2Dogs I agree. I'm not a "dog person", but there are places dogs don't belong. Just recently, I've seen dogs everywhere! I know people will attack me for stating my feelings. Many people started bringing their dogs to baseball games lately. I do not feel they need to be there, for fear of dogs attacking each other (you never how dogs react to other dogs).  I'm slightly scared of all large dogs. I was trying to walk around a rather large dog on a leash, but the owner kept letting it come closer to me, thinking I wanted to pet the dog. Even if dogs are on a leash, they can try to bite other dogs, or people. I wish more people were considerate  of people who are not "pet people". 

Ps. I know I'll regret posting this.

@TX-starlight ..... Hi .... I am a dog lover but, I agree with you 100% .... you should not regret posting how you feel 😍

Honored Contributor

Re: Just a Question today

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I saw a woman in my neighborhood walking her pit bull on the trail today and the dog had a muzzle.  I am guessing that this is more so that no one can accuse her dog of doing any harm than about the dog.

If you watch Hot Bench, Pit Bulls are often the cause of many lawsuits there.

@VaBelle35

I watch People's Court and Judge Judy and there are many cases involving Pit Bulls -- attacking people and other animals....But whats surprising is they did a news story on dog bites and in our city the dog with the most bites is Chihuahuas......so "foo foo" dogs can be aggressive too.....

I do love dogs and all animals, especially Beagles, Golden Retreivers, and Labs....but wouldnt take one to a non-pet store...

@Spurt  My neighbor had 2, Taco and Tamale, and they were always running out the door when she opened it and chasing people.  Your ankles were not safe around them.  They were tiny but loud!

@VaBelle35 @CelticCrafter

I have a neighbor with 2 Chihuahuas and she lets them run free they are very aggressive and snarl and growl, and I was minding my own business walking from the mailbox and almost got bit, thankfully another neighbor rescued me....She gets her dogs from Chihuahua Rescue ..... at least the previous one she had was friendly, but he was so fat he looked like a pot bellied pig and she said he had a lot of health issues, and the dog died, then she got another--dont know what happened to that one, and now these 2.  I think she has a kind heart and they talk her into taking the dogs that no one wants and they cant place them in a home because they have serious issues, but she doesn't control them.......

In our neighborhood there's a Pit Bull, a Doberman, 2 Daschunds, Border Collies, a Yorky, a Rotweiler, a German Shepherd, a Chow mix, and a Papillion....and the only mean and aggressive dogs are the Chihuahuas....go figure....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

IMO unless the particular store specifically allows dogs, then don't bring your dog period.   Not even tiny dogs in a tote - if the policy is no pets, people need to respect that. 

Our Lowes and HD allows dogs now. 

Valued Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@Mom2Dogs I agree. I'm not a "dog person", but there are places dogs don't belong. Just recently, I've seen dogs everywhere! I know people will attack me for stating my feelings. Many people started bringing their dogs to baseball games lately. I do not feel they need to be there, for fear of dogs attacking each other (you never how dogs react to other dogs).  I'm slightly scared of all large dogs. I was trying to walk around a rather large dog on a leash, but the owner kept letting it come closer to me, thinking I wanted to pet the dog. Even if dogs are on a leash, they can try to bite other dogs, or people. I wish more people were considerate  of people who are not "pet people". 

Ps. I know I'll regret posting this.

@TX-starlight, I am a huge dog lover and happen to agree with you 100%!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

I find it really hard to believe that a grown woman would think she could bring her dog into all stores in a strip mall just because there was a Pet Smart there.  That assumption was ridiculous.  I think we all know that dogs are not welcome everywhere, and for good reason.  It was up to her to check (and comply with) the policies.

I'm a dog lover and have been since I got my first dog at age 4.  But they don't belong everywhere.

I agree.....i believe she knew what she was doing....probably didn't want to take the time to run out to the parking lot and put the dog in the car.....

With all that said..........no...i don't think dogs belong in stores unless they are truly service dogs..and these days everyone claims their dog is a service dog....

Honored Contributor

We were at an open air market once and a woman was carrying around a ******zu and taking food like strawberries and grapes etc & giving them to the dog to eat without buying them. She was also allowing the dog to sniff the fruits & veggies. EWWW. Thankfully, eventually security man came over and told her the dog either had to have 4 feet on the ground or it had to leave the premesis, because that is the law for service dogs.I googled it when we got home & that is the law. All 4 feet on the ground and no longer than 6 ft leash, and they have to be on a leash.

Esteemed Contributor

Why would she even take her PIT BULL into PetSmart????? I'd leave the store if I were a customer. NO - Her dog doesn't belong in other stores.

Esteemed Contributor

What a ridiculous thing for her to do and silly of her to think that because her dog is welcome at Pet Smart that it would be welcome anywhere else.  Of course her dog wasn't welcome there;  dogs are not allowed in stores, plain and simple, unless they are service dogs or it's a pet store.

Believe me, I am a pet lover.  I have two dogs of my own and would love to take them everywhere with me, but I have better sense.  The fact that her dog was a pit bull doesn't matter to me, it's the fact that it was a DOG is what's wrong here.  And another thing that annoys me is people with tiny little dogs that think they can go in any store or anywhere they want because they have their dog in their purse or a tote or a stroller.  Rules are there for a reason.  And they apply to everyone.