Honored Contributor

Re: John Glenn has passed away

I've had few heros in my life but he was definitely one of them. When they replay "Godspeed, John Glenn" I get all choked up and almost cry. Silly huh? He orbited the earth on my 14th birthday and I thought that was so special...for me Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

John Glenn,  may you find peace and joy.  Your country salutes you.

We are seeing the end of a generation the likes of which we may not see again.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Now that I think about it, this is the second time he has slipped the surly bonds of earth...surely the only journey that could transcend the first one.  Semper Fi, Sir.

------------------------

Great comment!!!  

I was so sad to hear of his passing...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

Now that I think about it, this is the second time he has slipped the surly bonds of earth...surely the only journey that could transcend the first one.  Semper Fi, Sir.

What a beautiful comment @MacDUFF and ITA except that he slipped the surly bonds of earth twice before this.

He became the oldest individual to go into space on my husband's birthday back in 1998 when he went on the shuttle.  I remember being glued to my TV and listening to Tom Brokow saying I don't know what your grandfather is doing today, but this grandfather just launched into space.

There are truly no words to adequately express my respect for this man.  What a gentle giant of a man that set and broke all kinds of records and served his country in so many ways.  Marine, combat pilot, test pilot, astronaunt, and served as a Senator representing Ohio in the US Senate.  What a treasure he truly was.

Godspeed John Glenn. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

A true American hero who lived life to the fullest.  May he rest in peace and never be forgotten.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A decent, salt-of-the-earth, very courageous man, who definitely had The Right Stuff.

A solid citizen, married to the same woman for over 70 years, who spent his life in service to his country (including being a senator).  Condolences to his family and the entire Buckeye State.

Editing to add: I just remembered that Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, was another courageous man from Ohio.  

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota

True!  This is the third journey...amazing.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

We won't see his like again in our lifetime...rip

Honored Contributor

Remember these Mercury astronauts were all combat pilots from WW2 - then test pilots then astronauts. They really were heros. I had the great pleasure of knowing them when I was a child and I'm certain that they helped to form our lives. They were all so smart and fearless and had such great personalities. I had such crushes on them when I was a kid. 

Once when I had to write a paper for school about summer vacation I wrote about the astronauts and John Glenn teaching me to dive off the high dive and the teacher showed it to my Mom, saying boy I had a great imagination. My Mom got a kick out of telling her that I did not imagine it - this is how we did spend our summer vacation. In Florida, at our Uncles with his friends who work in the space program, including the astronauts, and that my Uncle was , in fact, a rocket scientist.

Honored Contributor

What a sterling individual.  John Glenn was an authentic hero and a wonderfully decent human being. He represented all that we like to think is best about America and Americans. When you think of the lofty principles and admirable personal traits he embodied, you get a bit sick to your stomach when you think of what America recently signed up for.  I was fortunate to hear him speak at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, the annex of the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum, on April 19, 2012.  The space shuttle Discovery was officially delivered to the museum that day, and Glenn, who rode it into space at the grand age of 77, was the major speaker.  He and his beloved wife, Annie, rode on the grounds to the dignitaries' area in a golf cart (as did the other people of note).  I just kept screaming --- not yelling but screaming -- "JOHN GLENN!"  How I loved that man! 

The Washington Post  offered a very touching insight into his character today in this piece:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/12/09/to-john-glenn-the-real-hero-was-his-wi...