Honored Contributor

Living off tax dollars of others that do work.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

There seems to be a shortage of help all around:  restuarants, stores, etc.  Blame it on the pandemic?   Many of these jobs have increased pay and workers comp has expired so just what are they all doing now?  

I don't believe all the media hoopla about "so many" jobs going unfilled.  Believe that if you want to.  I do think some have quit low paying jobs to:

go back to school

find better fit for employment (i.e., set schedules)

do "gig" work We are in a gig economy

I believe this is true for many millenials.  Many of them still have family they live with.

Maybe they had two jobs and dropped the part time burger slinging jobs for a full time salaried job (yay for them).

Yes, some people have decided they no longer want to work like dogs, however the way the media touts this problem in America at the moment is NOT AS NEARLY AS BAD AS THEY MAKE IT OUT TO BE.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Single parents have a problem finding and/or affording child care. Most advanced societies provide child care subsides. There is a shortage of affordable housing. Subsidized housing have years long waiting list. Many people are rethinking jobs that barely cover housing and child care with visits to the food bank. Boomers like myself should stop comparing what it was like when we were young. Times are drastically different. 

Yes, yes!!!

Trusted Contributor

I'm in restaurant retail.  My stores are all over the ny tri state area.  Many of my stores are running short handed and these are the issues we are working on (franchised business, so the corporation I work for does not have direct say on employee issues in the stores):

1. some of the franchisees are happy to be paying for less hours which of course is hurting the guest experience.  Their supply costs have risen, so they're ok with fewer employees and longer lines unfortunately.

2. many of the employees that left around Covid have gone onto other jobs with better benefits and more security--it's not just about pay.  These jobs include IT jobs, office jobs such as dentist or dr offices, jobs in schools and banks.  The pandemic brought out the worst in customers and many retail / food service workers had had enough of the poor working environment.  

There are some other reasons but those are the two main ones the franchisees I work with are facing.  

I will say, however, that the unemployment pay issue is no longer an issue. Those payments have mostly dried up except for someone on disability or extenuating circumstances. So, in my experience, no one is sitting home being paid unemployment as they were last year.
Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

In my community, many older workers who retired from full time careers, took on part time jobs for extra cash and to have something to do. 

once Covid came on the scene, they decided it wasn't worth the risk, and they quit.  They won't be going back. 

@september Covid has changed a lot of things for us!  People are rethinking their priorities in life since Covid.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

How can they manage that?  I want to try it @rms1954 .  Do tell.....

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

That may have been the case in 2020 and in part of 2021, but that is no longer true.  At least here in the NY Tristate area one has to lose their job through no fault of the own to get unemployment.  There are no longer exceptions for those who leave on their own, Covid or any other employee initiated job loss.  

Trusted Contributor

I,  and most of my friends, decided to retire when covid hit. Many of us have savings, collect pensions and SS and are content not having to go back to work. I've also noticed that some of my younger neighbors who have small children have decided to live on one income instead of 2. As others have posted, the high cost of day care and the cost of gas today are factors. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tori3569 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

That may have been the case in 2020 and in part of 2021, but that is no longer true.  At least here in the NY Tristate area one has to lose their job through no fault of the own to get unemployment.  There are no longer exceptions for those who leave on their own, Covid or any other employee initiated job loss.  

@Tori3569 that's right!  Those subsdidies ended across the country a long time ago.  Although, may where THAT op lives it's different.  It's a "special place."

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  Isn't working with the public grand.

One of my personal favorites was miserable old man screamed at me because he came in 2 hrs. late for his reservation, brought an extra person and was so drunk he couldn't walk a straight line. My cardinal sin was seating his party and telling him his server would be right there. I did not immediately take his drink order. He followed me toward the hostess station screaming the whole way.

I told my boss if that old drunk ever spoke to me that way again he would have to find a new employee.

I think the pandemic was just the last straw for some people in dealing with the public.

People making $7.50 an hour waiting tables or working checkout at a grocery put up with a lot of stuff, add people purposely coughing on you or hitting you because you asked them to follow the employers rules, I'd quit too.