Respected Contributor

There seems to be a shortage of help all around:  restuarants, stores, etc.  Blame it on the pandemic?   Many of these jobs have increased pay and workers comp has expired so just what are they all doing now?  

Honored Contributor

My thought is that some of the people are still staying home, but they have to have some way to keep a roof over their heads.  I hope they aren't still being paid to stay home, but you never know.

Honored Contributor

Many of them have gone on to better jobs. No one owes businesses their labor.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

It's a good question.  Business of all kinds are begging for workers.  There is absolutely no reason for someone not to have a job.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

There seems to be a shortage of help all around:  restuarants, stores, etc.  Blame it on the pandemic?   Many of these jobs have increased pay and workers comp has expired so just what are they all doing now?  

@bargainsgirl 

Been like this for a very long time now. What are they doing now? Probably depends on how they are getting by financially. Living home for free bed & breakfast style.

Maybe widdling away their savings, OR???  Mums my word!!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

People are obviously being funded somehow now.  They are getting some way to live or they would be working.

That's not hard to figure.  Someone is keeping them up.   People are NOT going to work if they don't have do.  Easy Peasy!  

Honored Contributor
Another one!
"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

I wonder the same thing.

My husband stopped at Burger King, yesterday morning. There were 2 employees working. One employee was cooking and the other employee was taking orders from the drive through and the counter and he was filling all the orders. My husband said he could not keep up.

I am sure there is alot of burn out. There are signs for Help Wanted everywhere. Not only are they saying beginning $17+/hour and interviews on the spot. Do not see one store that does not have many help wanted signs outside, inside and in their ads.

Just adding my personal thought. I worked in retail before Covid and I could never do it again. I was hit with shopping bags because I would not take a blouse down from a display that was 10 feet high. I said I would not drag a 12 foot ladder through a crowded store. I would take it down once the store closed and call her. She did not like my answer, so she started swinging her shopping bags as hard as she could at me. Ripped my pantyhose.

I had a woman scream at me because I didn't know where her son was. She said "What are you paid for?"  I had no idea that babysitting her son was part of my job. Apparently she dumped her son in our store as she went shopping in the mall. And she could not find him when she came back an hour later.

Or children that used plush animal displays as their personal bathroom. We had to clean it up. 

The stories go on and on. I loved the people that I worked with. But I am too old to deal with what we put up with.

Respected Contributor

Single parents have a problem finding and/or affording child care. Most advanced societies provide child care subsides. There is a shortage of affordable housing. Subsidized housing have years long waiting list. Many people are rethinking jobs that barely cover housing and child care with visits to the food bank. Boomers like myself should stop comparing what it was like when we were young. Times are drastically different. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl  Disability payments