Honored Contributor

Miserable 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Living off tax dollars of others that do work.

Proof?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

That poster has a long history of perpetuating unpleasant stereotypes and unproven mythologies.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

Living off tax dollars of others that do work.

Proof?

No proof is ever needed. University Of Alternative Facts 

Respected Contributor

In addition to people being unwilling to work for a wage that is unsustainable to pay for the necessities of life and then getting better jobs (as recommended by those who refuse to support a living wage), people seem to ignore the fact that this country has lost over 1 million people to Covid. That does not include those who are suffering from long Covid symptoms. The rate of Covid deaths among 'essential workers' is 5x the average of   Covid mortality. (Miami Herald, 6/10/22). Is it any wonder that this employee pool has almost dried up? 

Honored Contributor

@reiki604Yes it sure is a shame that all those essential workers who were the frontline heroes while most people stayed home are being forgotten. And the ones who are lucky to be alive are being shamed here as being lazy criminals.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@reiki604Yes it sure is a shame that all those essential workers who were the frontline heroes while most people stayed home are being forgotten. And the ones who are lucky to be alive are being shamed here as being lazy criminals.

Well some people have the need to pretend they're superior in order to B&M about things they don't have the compassion or empathy to understand. There are still those who deny Covid is real. To be honest, they are the one's I really feel sorry for as there is something missing deep inside of them.

Honored Contributor
You can argue why people died but the bottom line, in the last couple of years more people:

Died
Got sick and get sick with long term symptoms
Continue to get sick and miss work (impacting day to day operations for companies)
Retired
Changed jobs to new sectors

The current available workforce is LESS than 2019.

Buying patterns also totally shifted with some markets shrinking and others exploding in demand.
Esteemed Contributor

I know of five people who are no longer in the job market. 

1) Retired/single. She is comfortable in her retirement, moved to Florida, but went back to work right before summer, because she was bored.  She attended a job fair and thought she would just be dropping off her resume or applying. They interviewed and hired her on the spot.   She had this past summer off, and the school holidays. She is content.  

2) Retired/married. She was fed up with her work environment and COVID. Her husband has no plans of retiring. 

3) Retired/Married. Both her and her husband retired in 2021.

4) Younger ex-coworker that I still stay in touch with. She is in her late 40's. Her husband was already retired, she retired this year. They moved to Mexico and rented a home for six months to see if they would like it. After six months they purchased a home and seem to be very happy. 

5) younger ex-coworker/married also in her late 30's. Lost her job during COVID. She decided that she did not want to return to the work force. Opened up a business that sells specialty design food platters for parties and engagements. Named it after her young daughter. 

There are many reasons why we have fewer people in the market. It can not be summed up by saying that people are living off the tax payer, lazy, or don't want to work. Although I am honest enough to admit that there will always be  people that take advantage of of certain situations.  

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Single parents have a problem finding and/or affording child care. Most advanced societies provide child care subsides. There is a shortage of affordable housing. Subsidized housing have years long waiting list. Many people are rethinking jobs that barely cover housing and child care with visits to the food bank. Boomers like myself should stop comparing what it was like when we were young. Times are drastically different. 

@chessylady 

Your so right times ARE different, things have changed!!! So the childcare excuse doesnt fly anymore there are PLENTY of WORK FROM HOME JOBS NOW that also are begging for workers and the companies supply all the equipment and training!  (IT, Customer Service, Medical Insurance Agents, Property & Casualty Insurance Agents, Medical Coding, Data Enry, Tax Experts, Virtual Assistants,  Financial Planning, Travel Agents, Sales Agents etc etc)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”