Honored Contributor

Re: Jill B will appear on TODAY

I think the critique of the subject matter of Jill's Today Show appearance is taken a bit harsh by some. 

The Today Show has a permanent Home section, and under that Home umbrella is a section they always do called Organization.  They have shown how to organize every room of your home, even down to the inside of your shower (surprise -- they put in a tall shower caddy for your shampoo & stuff!!).   So lots of people tune in for tidbits of information, even if I'm not one of them.  More importantly, advertisers are watching and sponsoring products and the show.

I don't get it when the QVC hosts spend an inordinate amount of time telling viewers how to wear "this top" with "those pair of pants" -- I've been dressing myself for decades now.  But some people like things like that.

Honored Contributor

Orginaization is a huge "business." 

Look at Marie Kondo.  She had a whole Netflix series devoted to her.  There are countless others who organize for a living.

Esteemed Contributor

All of these morning shows have shown some silly segments.  There's a lot of time to fill.

Also, I have read some pretty inane questions on these very boards with posters seeking advice about something that seems, to me, basic or could be solved with some common sense.  I won't go into details.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Orginaization is a huge "business." 

Look at Marie Kondo.  She had a whole Netflix series devoted to her.  There are countless others who organize for a living.

@Bri369 

Yes, and then there are lots of companies that specialize in organizing your closets, your garage, etc.  Are those poo-pooing Jill's foray into this realm jumping all over those companies?

Who knows, maybe Jill will have her own line of organizational items.  Or she'll make you tube videos with how to's.

Seems some here think she should just retire, sit around on the computer all day and talk about what other people are doing wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

All of these morning shows have shown some silly segments.  There's a lot of time to fill.

Also, I have read some pretty inane questions on these very boards with posters seeking advice about something that seems, to me, basic or could be solved with some common sense.  I won't go into details.

ZING!!!

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

All right then... petty, bitter and pitiful because one isn't particularly a Jill fan and has very little interest in her upcoming segment or, for that matter, in her second (or third...) act... and dares to say so... While I'd agree there's nothing wrong with marketing herself and there's no reason to be 'embarrassed' by this appearance, it doesn't make anyone evil not to be enthralled by her or by it... As for how funny it might (or might not...) be that those with little interest in Jill, the Today show or the topic would choose to comment, perhaps the level of interest is in seeing other poster's comments or the extent to which some appear to be invested in going to bat for Jill Bauer...

I think a lot of the comments aren't all about going to bat for Jill in particular but for women embracing other women's choices, and allowing their choices for career moves (or the lack of them) to stand as valid and acceptable. 

It's really petty to demean her choice to do a small segment on the Today show and mock the grandure of it. 

One doesn't have to like her (she never was my most favorite host), but there is a theme here by several to bash her choices as 'below' what her standard is/was/should be. There is a shaming and ridiculing attitude to some of the posts.

I think people can have any opinion they like about a person, but what real purpose is served by looking down one's nose at another's career choices. The only one I can think of is to make the ridiculer feel superior, because they have their own set of insecurities they don't deal with, but instead focus on bashing others.

(and this comment is not directed at you @stevieb, but but to explain that it isn't about Jill, or going to bat for Jill, it's about job shaming and in general just petty, perhaps jealous behavior/reaction, in my opinion, to someone else's excitement and success. It really isn't about expecting others to agree or like what others do, it's about demeaning other's choices.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I just watched Jill's video, she doesn't have a date as to when she will appear on The Today Show. Jill said send her your videos, her "team" will look through them. How does she have a team, unless they are her friends and family helping her out.

I suspect she does indeed have some type of professional team helping her establish herself in her new career.  She might even have financial backers or investors. 

What are they investing in or backing?

Who knows, but there is a history at QVC and a 'fan base' if you will, to be tapped, but really will need to be done in a relatively short period of time if she is considering staying in the public eye. 

She also has many connections in business. QVC is scoffed at by many, but there are a lot of successful people both in the public eye and behind the scenes, that have spent their time and talents there, and Jill was around to see and establish relationships with most of them. 

She probably has a ton of doors open at this point, or people willing to help her break into a new facet of her career, just for the asking. Networking, old colleagues, lots of connections. 

I'm just sure that those will dry up and fade away over time, and time is of the essence in getting her 'brand' out there even if it isn't fully developed yet.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio Your reasoned explanation of your perspective is appreciated. There is much with which I'd agree. I think we all make our own choices and it really isn't up to anyone else to agree with them, embrace them support them or demean them if we believe in them... 

I'm not big on the whole 'women supporting women' mantra, because as I've said before, I support the people (man, woman or child) who capture my positive regard and whom I feel supportive of... For me, to blindly support anyone simply because they belong to a specific group or a specific 'demographic' is just sort of meaningless...

All that said, and not in response to anything you've said, one also grows weary of the term 'hater'... It is possible not to care for someone or even to be neutral toward someone without 'hating' them... At least I certainly hope so... Anyway, I find that particular hyperbole unfortunate...

As for your observation about contacts made with QVC, in theory, I'd assume that to be true, but I do wonder. I look back at other hosts who've left and it wouldn't seem that any of them have been able to parlay those contacts into what most might view as a significant 'next adventure. It seems that contacts weren't much a factor in Kathy Levine's 'retirement' from QVC nor were they apparently 'there' for Lisa Robertson, to name just two many might have assumed would parlay their years at QVC into bigger things... Both seemed to hold onto their fan base, but the successful entrepreneurs they represented at QVC don't seem to have had much of an impact on their careers... Who knows, maybe both are exactly where they want to be...

Anyway, again, thanks for your post...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Mominohio Your reasoned explanation of your perspective is appreciated. There is much with which I'd agree. I think we all make our own choices and it really isn't up to anyone else to agree with them, embrace them support them or demean them if we believe in them... 

I'm not big on the whole 'women supporting women' mantra, because as I've said before, I support the people (man, woman or child) who capture my positive regard and whom I feel supportive of... For me, to blindly support anyone simply because they belong to a specific group or a specific 'demographic' is just sort of meaningless...

All that said, and not in response to anything you've said, one also grows weary of the term 'hater'... It is possible not to care for someone or even to be neutral toward someone without 'hating' them... At least I certainly hope so... Anyway, I find that particular hyperbole unfortunate...

As for your observation about contacts made with QVC, in theory, I'd assume that to be true, but I do wonder. I look back at other hosts who've left and it wouldn't seem that any of them have been able to parlay those contacts into what most might view as a significant 'next adventure. It seems that contacts weren't much a factor in Kathy Levine's 'retirement' from QVC nor were they apparently 'there' for Lisa Robertson, to name just two many might have assumed would parlay their years at QVC into bigger things... Both seemed to hold onto their fan base, but the successful entrepreneurs they represented at QVC don't seem to have had much of an impact on their careers... Who knows, maybe both are exactly where they want to be...

Anyway, again, thanks for your post...

good answer.

I,too,get tired of hearing about women supporting each other ad nauseum.  Do what you gotta do in life if it makes you happy, You don't need my, or anyone others compliments and support if I don't know you.  i support decisions made by family members and friends. 

All the years Jill spent selling products at QVC probably gave her more contacts with vendors and companies than the average person so she may be using some of those she sold to organize her fridge. I can go to Big Lots and buy containers, soda can holders and other such things to put in my refrigerator if I want to go that route. I don't so I;m not interested in her segment, or for that matter if a man was dong the same segment, I wouldn't be interested either. 

ETA: There are a lot of people who get motivated to do things by watching someone else do what they have wanted to but put off for whatever reason. Motivational speakers are successful for a reason. If you are one who needs that push, I applaud you for your efforts