Honored Contributor

The Things We Take for Granted--Hurricane Stories

A relief group I donate to has put this on facebook, and I thought it was worth sharing.  I edited it a little:

The group has delivered and is operating a potable water tanker, four shower and two laundry units on Ocracoke Island.

The Village of Ocracoke suffered severe flood and wind damage as Hurricane Dorian raked the state’s coastline and Outer Banks. Residents are continuing the clean-up process while many of them are still without electrical power.

This group has the shower and laundry units positioned in an abandoned campground on the island. Portable generators are providing power to heat water for showers and clothes washers and dryers. Residents of the island and first responders are invited to take advantage of the shower and laundry units.

“People here are just so appreciative of what we are doing, and we are appreciative of the support and cooperation of Emergency Management” said Judy Stone, on-site shower and laundry team leader. “For many of the people on the island this is the only way to get a hot shower since the hurricane hit. And some first responders only brought enough clothes for an expected stay of about three days. They have now gone through their clean clothes and are bringing their laundry to us,” she added.

At present, more than 50 loads of laundry are being washed, dried, and folded daily by volunteers. They expect laundry and shower needs will increase as the work to recover continues on the island.

A nine-year veteran of the US Forest Service said in all his years as a first responder this was the first time he had been given a clean towel and wash cloth to use in a shower. On several occasions, he said, paper towels were the only thing available.

Clean towels, washcloths, soap, shampoo and other toiletries are offered to each person. After her shower, a local resident said it was the first hot shower she had since the storm. “I feel like a new person. Thank you for what you all are doing here,” she said.

Another resident, as he headed into one of the private shower units, said he has lived on Ocracoke for more than 20 years and has never experienced anything like Hurricane Dorian. “Thank you for letting me get a hot shower. This is a Godsend,” he added.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Things We Take for Granted--Hurricane Stories

Yes, those of us who have never experienced this kind of devastation have no idea. When I saw what the hurricane did to the Bahamas, I likened it to the pictures I saw of Warsaw after the war. Thank God for the do gooders of the world.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m in VA and was watching news when NC was hit. We were getting wind but not bad, I was afraid it would get our trees. I knew it would be bad there, it was so strong. 

There have been many hurricanes and long power outages .We got a whole house generator that saw us through many storms including Isabel.

I offered showers, coffee and ice and air conditioning to the whole street. I’m glad some took advantage of that!

Before the generator during an ice storm without power one Christmas Eve I fed the fire. Two days later we found a hotel that would take our dog. People were arriving and asking if they had hot water. The showers felt so good! Power was out a week. 

As soon as gas lines came to our street we got the generator! 

I sometimes take small things for granted, but often say a “thank you “ prayer when the shower feels so good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Prayers for all the people in the Bahamas and for the volunteers too......

@Sooner 

Your so right, a tragedy like this reminds me to do something that I should do on a daily basis, pause and be thankful for all the blessings and things I take for granted.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

After Sandy we lost our power for 10 days and you don't realize what you take for granted until they're not there.  For me it was clean underwear and socks.  Doing them in the sink because you see the pile getting lower and hanging them to dry isn't the same.

Super Contributor

Thanks for printing this, I live on the Gulf Coast of TX and we do go through this often and it reminds me how thankful we need to be. Two years ago it was Harvey in my area and luckly it was water and we never lost power. We have a new water treatment plant so there was no need to boil water for a long period of time. I have seen a lot of destruction in this area because i am a few hundred miles from the town of Camron LA which have had its share just like the people in the islands. Some people ask why don"t you move and I ask where will I go, every region has its own share of diasters. I hope each of you donate clothing and other items to help, even if it is a dollar is a great help. If you are reading this post say a prayer because next week I may be looking at a storm in the near future. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We're in FL and prepared as best we could.  Luckily, we didn't even have a power outage, but after seeing the Bahamas, would have gladly taken some of Dorian if it had lessened the devastation there.

Ready to give a second donation, even though we're seniors on a fixed income.  I keep thinking if we all do just a little, it adds up to hopefully help these people begin to put their lives together a bit.

Denise
Regular Contributor

I've lived through 2 disasters in my lifetime.  The Johnstown flood of 1977 in PA and hurricaine Charley of 2004 in FL

There is so much that you don't know about disaster recovery and living life afterwards until you actually live it.

Those groups and agencies that show up with help of water, food, supplies, showers, and laundry facility are greatly appreciated.