Honored Contributor

When I see a 'feel good' story similar to this, I use it as a reminder of how we should be kind and giving and help our fellow man.

What I don't do is believe that what the story portrays is all true. 

We just can no longer assume that what we see on the news and especially on social media or that makes the news from social media, is all that it is claimed to be. 

It doesn't mean we stop giving and caring, it just means we be more careful and close to what we are doing.

Regular Contributor

Sorry, but Red Cross, Feeding America,  and United Way have so much overhead and "important employees"  that very little of your donation goes to the cause you select.  Give to the charity you are aiming at directly, St. Jude, Shriners, Boston Strong, etc.  And Feeding America is ridiculous.  School children are starving at their own choice, they get free breakfast and lunch and fill the garbage pails with this food.  The parents get "Quest" cards or foodstamps, so why are they starving???  Ineffective use of funding, in my opinion.

Valued Contributor

liar-liar-pants-on-fire.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Liar, liar pants on fire.....

I have thought the last few months how cool it would be if when people lie, their pants really would catch on fire.....or at least get uncomfortably hot!

Honored Contributor

As with anything, "buyer beware."  Personally, I check out charities before donating to them.  And here in Chicago where there are many homeless, I only give to those I see on a regular basis.  And now with the Salvation Army on every other corner, they will get my donations.

Trusted Contributor

Re: It was all a lie

[ Edited ]

Not all of us were duped. Social workers have for years warned against this saying it was counter productive. However, many don't listen due to the need to feel good about ourselves. It becomes more about ourselves than helping. Have we gotten to the point that we have lost any ability of discernment? Go fund me accounts seem to be another form of swindle. How many instances does one see of this type of fraud? And, to boot,do they pay taxes on the money given? Not one to my knowledge are set up and charities. This is an important learning lesson. It is not being cynical it is being smart. Just my humble opinion.

Contributor

That is very good advice ok princess. Salvation Army also feeds the needy. Many of them who are at the street corners do not want food they want money to use for alcohol. 

Honored Contributor

When I was first out of high school I worked at a gas station.I lived modestly and was able to pay my bills...no car or phone.A man came into my workplace with a card that said he was deaf and dumb and hungry.I gave him some of my hard earned money.A week or so later I saw him nicely dressed walking down the street with a woman chatting away and having no problems hearing.i was so mad that I gave him money I really needed most likely more than he did.I have been let down other times by those I have chosen to help so I am much more careful now.

I think those scammers should be ashamed...not only are they taking from the generosity of those who likely could have used that money themselves but they are also stealing from those who really need help.

Respected Contributor

This is why you check out organizations before giving money.  Never give to people on the street.  My DH was running a project on a state highway and the same guy showed up everyday to beg as people stopped at the end of the exit ramp.  As it happened one afternoon the guy was walking away and my DH saw him get into a really nice car parked close by and drive off.  These men and woman are con artists.

Trusted Contributor

@dex  They are not ashamed my friend. They live a whole different life that most of us. And, we are evaluating them on our own frame of reference. I discovered when investigating travel overseas that it is a virtual nightmare in some European and Middle Eastern cities for pick pockets. I read up on it and many of those that pickpocket consider those they fleece deserving of being fleeced as they are not smart. I guess the responsibility as always depends on us to guard against those that would do us ill.