Valued Contributor

An Experience Today That Gave Me a Scare

I have to preface this with my husband owns a Harley; we've ridden coast to coast twice, and some of the nicest people, and now closest friends, we've met and have, are fellow bikers. 99% are always helpful and looking out for others.

Okay, with that said, I went grocery shopping this morning. The strip mall is huge and I was parked at the far end of the lot. As I left the store a young man, clearly high, approached me and asked me for money. I told him I had none as I just spent it all on groceries.
He stayed on my heels, following me, and asked for my cell phone as he needed a ride and had to call his friend. I told him I had left it at home. He's now getting agitated and still right behind me. As luck would have it a young man (early 30s), on a Harley, pulled into the lot and parked very close to where my aggressor and I were. I strolled right up to him as he got off his bike and said, "John, how are you? It's so good to see you, how's your mom?" I think between the look on my face and the high guy an inch behind me "John" very quickly read the situation. He said, "let's walk to your car and we'll catch up." With that the young guy took off. I thanked "John" profusely and he said, "you know, I have to tell my wife and mom about this. I'm not sure they would have thought to do what you did. I'm glad I was here to help." Me too John, me too. Angels come in all shapes, sizes and many wear black leather riding on two wheels.
Honored Contributor

Re: An Experience Today That Gave Me a Scare

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Good thinking and glad you are ok!  Next time, call 911 right off!!!!!!  

Honored Contributor

Wow!  That is scary and I'm glad things worked out well for you!

Trusted Contributor

Thank God that you were not hurt. Kudos to you for your quick responses.  Your guardian angel came along when you most needed him, no matter what he wore or the manner of transportation.  Please think about parking closer to the more populated areas of the mall, grocery store, etc. Doing so would make you less attractive as a target.  Remain vigilant.

Honored Contributor

Wow @Its Me LuLuBelle2.  Thanks for sharing this story.  That was great thinking of you to approach John.  Thank God he was there at the right time and you were so smart to do what you did.  Glad everything worked out for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Bikers are the best! So glad you are safe. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Its Me LuLuBelle2Smart....  totally agree with your first paragraph.

Regarding your experience: I'd head towards a Harley also.  The guy following you was too persistent for comfort.  The biker was smart also to pick up on the situation.  I could add many tales to this story, but I'll leave it here and glad you are safe.

Respected Contributor

You're correct, angels do come in many different forms.  My nephew rides a Harley, he's 6'8" and looks impressive.  He's also a hospice nurse.  He and his wife adopted 3 special children.  Looks can be deceiving.

Super Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  You can always count on a Harley rider!  They are some of the best men I know.

Respected Contributor

Glad that turned out well for you and your quick thinking.

I live by you can't judge a book by its cover. 

Denise