Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,426
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Mominohio wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

Although this pertains to the Republican National Convention coming up in a month, this is not a political comment and please do not take it 'there.'

 

I don’t know how well it is known nationwide, but the police departments of several cities have withdrawn partnering with Cleveland during the convention. They have said the city is not ready to host the event and are not willing to jeopardize their own officers' lives.  

 

Cleveland is currently 1,000 police officers short of the stated need for security just for the convention, so how will they be able to “protect and defend” its citizenry at the same time?


 

@IamMrsG

 

Being from Ohio, I have indeed heard this as well. And it is rather sobering to think that they are not ready. I understand outside police forces that don't want to be a part of something they don't feel is up to par, as they will be risking their officers. But it seems that in light of this weekend's events, and the volatility of this election cycle, no one city could probably provide all the police protection needed and would be relying on help from outside. They have some weeks to get ready, let's hope they pull it together.

 

And yet another piece of information that people who would be going to the convention for work, business, pleasure etc. need to be aware of and considering when planning their time in the area in general, during that event.

 


NY/NJ could but I am so glad it is not being held here. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,517
Registered: ‎09-18-2014

@sparklestar wrote:

It's too late.  The damage is already done and probably will continue.  Now innocent people suffer.  Our freedom to protect ourselfs has been taken away.  I feel like we've been thrown to the wolves.


__________________________________________________________________

 

How so?

We own more guns as a nation than any other country. 

Contrary to one of the biggest lies ever proliferated by politicians, the Second Amendment is alive and well.

 

Exactly what has been taken away from you?

 

 

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

@Pearlee wrote:

"It's a different world" is not news to me.  We here in this country found that out on 9/11/01.  


 

 

I didn't announce it as a 'hot off the press, breaking news' item, but as a reflective topic, especially in light of recent events. And for many, it is just coming to realization, that this isn't going to be as random and infrequent as we thought. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,357
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

The only difference that really bothered me in this whole story was his employer.  If I understand his job correctly, he was licensed to carry and worked for the place since 2007.  That means he was interviewed by the FBI twice during that time at the complaint of his coworkers who I assume are also employed by the same company.  How do you keep someone on payroll that other employees who work side by side with him have turned into the FBI because they feel something is really off with him?  Not once but twice.

 

It is a very different world when a company would rather protect themselves from a wrongful termination lawsuit than err on the side of caution and pull out the "relationship is no longer mutually beneficial" forms and send him on his way.  I think they would be justified after the FBI's second visit especially when you are handing your employees security clearances and weapons.   Common sense needs to become more common again and employers need to pay attention to their employees and not just their bottom lines.         


The bigger question, to me, is why this man, who had been visited by the FBI because of his radical claims, was allowed to legally purchase an AR-15 and a handgun (plus the ammunition to go with it)?


Yes, it seams it is not legal to stop the sale ,unless they have been charged with a crime.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,549
Registered: ‎06-09-2014

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

The only difference that really bothered me in this whole story was his employer.  If I understand his job correctly, he was licensed to carry and worked for the place since 2007.  That means he was interviewed by the FBI twice during that time at the complaint of his coworkers who I assume are also employed by the same company.  How do you keep someone on payroll that other employees who work side by side with him have turned into the FBI because they feel something is really off with him?  Not once but twice.

 

It is a very different world when a company would rather protect themselves from a wrongful termination lawsuit than err on the side of caution and pull out the "relationship is no longer mutually beneficial" forms and send him on his way.  I think they would be justified after the FBI's second visit especially when you are handing your employees security clearances and weapons.   Common sense needs to become more common again and employers need to pay attention to their employees and not just their bottom lines.         


The bigger question, to me, is why this man, who had been visited by the FBI because of his radical claims, was allowed to legally purchase an AR-15 and a handgun (plus the ammunition to go with it)?


Supposedly because he had that state license from his employer based on what I understand.  Had he not had that job, he wouldn't have had the license.    

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,357
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

It's too late.  The damage is already done and probably will continue.  Now innocent people suffer.  Our freedom to protect ourselfs has been taken away.  I feel like we've been thrown to the wolves.


__________________________________________________________________

 

How so?

We own more guns as a nation than any other country. 

Contrary to one of the biggest lies ever proliferated by politicians, the Second Amendment is alive and well.

 

Exactly what has been taken away from you?

 

 



@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

It's too late.  The damage is already done and probably will continue.  Now innocent people suffer.  Our freedom to protect ourselfs has been taken away.  I feel like we've been thrown to the wolves.


__________________________________________________________________

 

How so?

We own more guns as a nation than any other country. 

Contrary to one of the biggest lies ever proliferated by politicians, the Second Amendment is alive and well.

 

Exactly what has been taken away from you?

 

 


And we kill each other.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

@qualitygal wrote:

I actually remember thinking yesterday, thank goodness my parents aren't here to have to go through this. My dad even at one point one day said something to that effect. (That was due to his religious beliefs).


 

My dad passed in 1979 when I had just graduated high school. He had been ill many years and was in LE. He said at that time he was going to be one of the lucky ones, because he wouldn't be here to see what was coming. 

 

He wasn't refering to it in the usual religous sense that sometimes older and dying people do, but the social breakdown of our nation, rule of law, and people being able to do what is right most of the time.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

For some things, probalby it's a different world - but then it's supposed to be.

 

I remember my history and well and so should everyone else.  Many Native Americans were slaughtered and killed in the past just to take their land and just to kill them, yet it wasn't considered terrorism.  50 is a small number compared to the many that were killed in the past. 


 

So this is a pay back kind of thing and to be considered acceptable?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

@qualitygal wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

"It's a different world" is not news to me.  We here in this country found that out on 9/11/01.  


@Pearlee,

I think that we now, who may not have been in NY at that time, it's just really sinking in. You know how people can say, things happen to other people and they don't think it (bad stuff) will happen to them?  I think reality has set in. The horridness of things that go on now, are unbelievable. I think it's just really sinking in about the reality of it all. It's horrible.

 

I don't think most people living in this country can/could grasp this sort of horrificness ever happening here. I sure didn't. It's so scary. JMHO.


 

 

Being the daughter of a very forward thinking LE career man, I always knew the possibilities, but I thought the American spirit would over come. I believed we had enough good people to hold most of the evil at bay. I am beginning to think we may not.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,357
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Mominohio wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

For some things, probalby it's a different world - but then it's supposed to be.

 

I remember my history and well and so should everyone else.  Many Native Americans were slaughtered and killed in the past just to take their land and just to kill them, yet it wasn't considered terrorism.  50 is a small number compared to the many that were killed in the past. 


 

So this is a pay back kind of thing and to be considered acceptable?


Ignore her,she always talks of this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.