Honored Contributor

Two separate events in Florida this weekend are a stark reminder that we now live in a different world than we grew up and older in.

Post 9/11 we have done things and seen things differently, but it seems we 'easily forget' the 'smaller' tragedies that have occurred since, and move on with our daily lives rather quickly. 

The way we approach our lives is changed, whether people want to admit it or  not, whether people like it or not. Thought must now be given to each decision about where we are going, when we feel it is safe to do so, how we behave when we are there (our awareness of our surroundings), our demands (or lack of) the types of safety and security measures we expect from the venues we attend.

It is (or should be) for each and every one of  us, a new thought process about our daily lives. No longer should we be blindly wandering through our day, oblivious to things like those around us, the buildings we enter and their  layout and exits, the perceived level of target a particular place or event might be to those wishing to do harm.  

Some will come here and respond that they are not going to shut down, give in, hide and not live life. And none of us should, and this isn't what this post is about.

This is about acknowledging that the days of innocence are over, that today we take a bigger risk in being certain places than we did in the past (places like large venues, or places that terrorists think an easy target). That we can't rely on LE and government to stop all this, and we play a big part in seeing/informing authorities what goes on around us, in choosing where we go and in choosing not to be places where the security doesn't meet expectations.

Many will choose to not participate in some events or travel to certain places because of the perceived threats, or  they may change the way they do participate in things. And that is not wrong in all cases, when they feel the risks outweigh the benefits. More and more of us will be making choices that we never even considered before, or at least be aware of the heightened risk of the things we choose to participate in, and the places we frequent.

It's a different world. 

Esteemed Contributor
The events you describe happen every day and are decisions people make every day.
Respected Contributor

One of the local reporters was being interviewed here yesterday and he mentioned that he had visited that club in the past.  He said security checks bags and wands people throughout the evening, but at 2 a.m. they do not because most people are leaving rather than arriving.  

Obviously the killer knew that based on the time he arrived.

I'm sure that policy will change.  Sad sad world we are living in now.

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
The events you describe happen every day and are decisions people make every day.

Some people.

In the past, some people have, but now more and more will be just waking up to it, as yet another occurrence brings light to the fact that this isn't going away, and it isn't as isolated as they thought it was, and the government isn't 'fixing' it (as is evident in the fact that they had identified/watched/ interviewed this guy, and he slipped right through their fingers anyway).

It is just becoming 'real' to more and more people, with each passing event. 

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

One of the local reporters was being interviewed here yesterday and he mentioned that he had visited that club in the past.  He said security checks bags and wands people throughout the evening, but at 2 a.m. they do not because most people are leaving rather than arriving.  

Obviously the killer knew that based on the time he arrived.

I'm sure that policy will change.  Sad sad world we are living in now.

That is part of what I was alluding to. People are going to need to be more aware of the security of the venues they frequent, and demand more when they think it necessary. Business has been impacted since 9/11 with security upgrades and concerns, but I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg where that is concerned. More and more people are going to start demanding (as they should) better security before they pay for an experience or visit to a business. 

Valued Contributor

What type of security would you suggest? 
Do we prevent certain religions from entering the venue?

Do we use metal detectors for every person (could be 10s of thousands) attending a rally, concert, etc.?

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

I read in my newspaper a grocery store in my town got robbed in the early morning hours - a grocery store.  In Indianapolis - criminals have gone  in restaurants and robbed all of the patrons - I don't think anywhere is safe, but you can't live your life in fear - life is to be lived, just as those victims in Orlando were doing - living their lives.  Please don't stop living your lives, llife is too short.  Peace to the people of Orlando.

Respected Contributor

Although this pertains to the Republican National Convention coming up in a month, this is not a political comment and please do not take it 'there.'

I don’t know how well it is known nationwide, but the police departments of several cities have withdrawn partnering with Cleveland during the convention. They have said the city is not ready to host the event and are not willing to jeopardize their own officers' lives.  

Cleveland is currently 1,000 police officers short of the stated need for security just for the convention, so how will they be able to “protect and defend” its citizenry at the same time?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

Although this pertains to the Republican National Convention coming up in a month, this is not a political comment and please do not take it 'there.'

I don’t know how well it is known nationwide, but the police departments of several cities have withdrawn partnering with Cleveland during the convention. They have said the city is not ready to host the event and are not willing to jeopardize their own officers' lives.  

Cleveland is currently 1,000 police officers short of the stated need for security just for the convention, so how will they be able to “protect and defend” its citizenry at the same time?

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Were the convention goers given permission to carry during the events? I recall something mentioned to that effect?