Respected Contributor

Re: Is This A New Phone Scam???

@ILTH wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

Yes we received this call a few days ago.  I have a Call Blocker from QVC and I just punch it.  I don't fall for any phone call.  Even the one that told me they were coming to arrest me for not attending jury duty.  You know I've never been called to jury duty, ever in my life.  That's weird.

I'm called enough for both of us. 😝😆

OMGoodness me too!!!!!  Just avoided it a few weeks ago....got a text from them saying I did not need to come down....I did a HAPPY DANCE like you have not seen David ever do on air here at the Q Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite  Yes, I'm dealing with this currently....started a couple of weeks ago.  I, fortunately knew it was a scam.  Very threatening and somewhat disconcerting if you are not aware of the scam.  I did some research and found exactly the words that were being used with others on the Robocall site.  It now starts at 6:00 am....always on the landline.  I've turned off the ability to leave a message and turned off the ringer.  At the end of the day I go through the phone calls to see if I recognize any friends/family's numbers.  The scammers are spoofing numbers and come from all over, but usually the same area codes (as well as my local area code).  I have asked everyone to use our cell phone numbers instead of the landline.  Now that I don't even hear these calls...they don't bother me at all.  

When you do the research, you will find there has been a tremendous upsurge in irs/ss scam calls.  I've received up to 18 a day.  Hopefully, by not picking up and the inability to reach me....they will eventually go away.  (The very worse thing to do is acknowledge them in any way.  Do Not pick up the phone....once they realize they have a "live" person it lights their fire.)  Don't let them win by giving any energy to these scams.

Valued Contributor

Scams like that are what made me get rid of our landline, (those and political calls) but now I get them on my cell phone. So they will find you no matter what. Lately I've been getting calls saying I qualified for a "free" medical alert bracelet! Geez 

Honored Contributor

Yes, big scam.  Block that number.

Frequent Contributor

I just received one of these scam calls yesterday.  My mobile phone alerts me when my landline receives incoming call.  I listen to message and all I heard was suspicious activity and press 1.  Needless to say I just delete all my caller id numbers.  

Unfortunately I'm now receiving some scam calls on my mobile too but luckily not as bad as with the landline.  I just go to phone number on mobile and block it.

The only reason I still have landline is due to cable "triple play" and I still like having another phone line just in case.   I realize more and more people just have their cell phones as their main number.   Someday maybe I'll get to that stage but not right now. :-)

Honored Contributor

Yes, I received several of these calls, and I let voicemail answer them, and it was the same recorded voice saying something about my Social Security #, they called 3 times in one night. I am getting so tired of these types of calls.. I am getting ready to get a new phone to get rid of these robo calls!

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's scam.  It's not new, it's old as the hills.  SSA would NEVER make a phone call like that.  I can't speak for all areas but both SSA and IRS have publicized that they don't make calls like that.  Ever.  If they detect problems, the communicate via letter.  If you answer the phone with a dumb call like that, just hang up.  You don't even have to listen to the whole message.