Respected Contributor

Today I have received 2 phone calls from a 800# (I never answer any call I don't know who it is) so it went to voicemail and then a recorded message (computer generated voice) saying it is the Social Security Office calling to let me know my SS# has been suspended ....suspicious activity and if I want to know about it then press #1.  Guess that would have taken me to a actual human being running this scam if I had answered the phone call.

ANyone else getting these??

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is This A New Phone Scam???

Yes,SS will NEVER  call you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't answer and don't press #1.

DO read the social security scam awareness:

https://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/scam-awareness

Q&A

Can Social Security number be suspended?
Scammers are saying your Social Security number (SSN) has been suspendedbecause of suspicious activity, or because it's been involved in a crime. ... Oh, and your caller ID often shows the real SSA phone number (1-800-772-1213) when these scammers call – but they're faking that number. It's not the real SSAcalling.Dec 27, 2018

Respected Contributor

Just did some googling and from what came up this scam has been going on in different states for awhile now!  Like I said I never answer and wouldn't press any# to talk to anyone.....this just ticks me off though!!  

Honored Contributor

Official business matters are given in writing and handled through your mailbox, not through your phone.

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Yes,SS will NEVER  call you.

That's not true. 

They call to verify information, if they have questions, when you apply for SS.

I didn't answer when SS called me. After I listened to the voicemail, I googled the phone number they left for me to call back. It was legitimate. I called them back. 

What OP experienced sounds very much like a scam, though.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Official business matters are given in writing and handled through your mailbox, not through your phone.

Not always true. 

See my other response. 

Esteemed Contributor

Only in writing.  Don't answer and if you do don't press anything.

I will add sometimes I am curious.  When the phone rings I pick up and say nothing.  Their robo device detects voices.  I just wait and they hang up.  

Annoying and no doubt nothing we can do. Seems the carriers should do something.  Very little I am afraid.  

Trusted Contributor

This scam has been going on for a while. Do not call number given. In my part of PA for a while we received calls that our SS# had been used fraudulently and to call a number to straighten it out. That was/is also a scam.

Respected Contributor

SS will call you but only if you call them to set up a time. I have done this twice and the call was always at the time specified. Any unsolicited call is a scam.