Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Else Bothered By Commercials Using Popular Music and Songs?

I've noticed a lot of this, using popular or once charted hits in commercials now.

I personally love it. 

Walmart especially chooses music that then sticks in my brain. And that is what they are after, if they can get us to keep that song in our head, and picture the Walmart brand, they are achieving what they set out to do. Smart marketing.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal Your post to me sounds like you think I like commercials.....I spend my TV viewing time avoiding commercials....avoiding them.

I DVR everything I want to watch so that I CAN skip over the commercials.  

Every now and then if I'm not paying attention, a commercial will come on (with a song) ....that's what I was talking about.

I like a lot of the new(er) shows so I only watch Netflix every now and then.

Trusted Contributor

If you notice, the music is directed to the age group they are trying to impress.

Skippy using the "smooth like a fresh har of Skippy" from "Uptown Funk" and also Herbal Essecenses" is going for the younger demorgraphics. Etc, etc, etc.

Honored Contributor

Some of those songs are our oldies but goodies. They're almost sacred. I resent having them on a commercial. Can't they make up their own songs? Pitiful. That's cuz they don't write them like that anymore. Now it's called rap, but believe me when I tell you, that ain't music.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I know it's always been done to some degree.  However, it seems like lately, just about every other commercial has a very popular song going in the background.

These are songs that were usually on some of our favorite TV shows in the past or songs that were in the top 10 at some point.

I do understand why they do it.  I don't need to have it explained to me.

What I'm saying is that it frustrates me and ruins the song for me.

What I'm wondering is does anyone else feel that way or is it just me?  Also, do any of you notice that it's being done more than ever?

I think the recent surge of our old favorite TV shows being 're-done' for 2018 and 2019 might have something to do with this.

The Chevy commercials with Bob Seger singing “Like A Rock” are still among my favorites ❤️❤️❤️

I rarely watch tv these days so I don’t experience it or notice it.

But IMO, good music is one of life’s great pleasures and advertisers are smart to link their products to good popular songs.

Super Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

Sometimes I’ll find a new song or artist that I like. Case in point: “Feel it still” from iPad pro and Vitamin water ads.

”ooh woo I’m a rebel just for kicks now, I been feeling it since 1966 now” 🎶

@tucsongal Me too! I discovered a wonderful indie band called “Of Monsters and Men” by hearing a commercial (dare to defy) and googling the music. Their song Crystals came up. They are fabulously talented young people, and although I am an old rocker, I enjoy discovering some new favorites. 😁

Honored Contributor

Honestly ... Over the years, I've perfected a method of tuning out my brain when a commercial comes on TV.

So - no I'm not bothered by commercials w/ or w/o music.

Honored Contributor

Along the same lines but regarding a very well done comedy sitcom.... MOM... they use classical music throughout the show and I find it very enjoyable, very unique and has made this talented comedy even more so.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*