Honored Contributor

Is Anyone Else Bothered By Commercials Using Popular Music and Songs?

I know it's always been done to some degree.  However, it seems like lately, just about every other commercial has a very popular song going in the background.

These are songs that were usually on some of our favorite TV shows in the past or songs that were in the top 10 at some point.

I do understand why they do it.  I don't need to have it explained to me.

What I'm saying is that it frustrates me and ruins the song for me.

What I'm wondering is does anyone else feel that way or is it just me?  Also, do any of you notice that it's being done more than ever?

I think the recent surge of our old favorite TV shows being 're-done' for 2018 and 2019 might have something to do with this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Else Bothered By Commercials Using Popular Music and Songs?

I suppose someone receives royalties every time it is aired.  Maybe they want the money?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  It's you.

I prefer a song in place of screaming/crying/loud obnoxious speech etc.

I'm not sure how it "ruins" the song.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

No, it doesn't bother me.

Honored Contributor

For me, it depends on whether l liked the song when it was originally popular.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 In my opinion it "ruins" the song because (for me) I feel I can't enjoy the song without thinking about the stupid add attached to it.

I know that's the whole purpose of the add and some would say, "It did it's job".  However, for me, perhaps the opposite because then I don't care about buying whatever they're selling.

It's kind like when I get those advertising calls on my phone.  I wouldn't buy whatever they're selling if I needed it and it was the one thing I needed because they've irritated me by calling me over and over and they've spoiled it for me.

Maybe it sounds weird to you, but that is my thought process.  So, yes, they have ruined the song UNTIL I can get the dumb commercial out of my head......

Honored Contributor

I care nothing about the NFL Draft but I stop to watch the commercial every time it comes on.    Same graphics and music as the old TV series Dallas.  Well done.

Valued Contributor

I am much more bothered by the fact that many TV dramas feel a need to use a song, with lyrics, in all their shows.  I occasionally put on Closed Captioning if I am having trouble making out the dialogue in show.  Then CC shows me all the song lyrics along with the dialogue.  I find it annoying. 

Honored Contributor

I read that the "royalty" laws are different now and the artist, writer, etc of the song doesn't necessarily get compensated for the song being used in a commercial. As far as the popular songs being used in commercials....that's why there is a mute button, I use it often.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  So for you the song becomes an "earworm" and your mind keeps playing the commercial over and over in your mind until the earmworm stops?

Some of those songs are quite old (generational) so I don't see how often one might hear them outside of the commercial.

I get what you are saying but I just don't get bothered by the songs.  It's ok if you do; just trying to understand.

I tend to look at a product and remember the screaming/crying/etc. that some use to sell their products.  Those commercials I turn off. 

Sometimes one song will come on and I'll sing along.  LOL  Especially one that evokes a nice memory.  I guess I attach memories and not the commercial.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh