Honored Contributor

Re: Is Anyone Else Bothered By Commercials Using Popular Music and Songs?

If its a song I didnt like the first time it came around it bothers me .....and they repeat the limited number of commercials so frequently so I can't get the song out of my mind, and this REALLY bothers the HECK out of me! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess I guess that explains it.  Music was always a big part of my husband's and my life.  We met at a dance and he learned to play the guitar and he'd sing.

To this day when I hear some songs I am transported back to when we'd dance to the song.

Back when we were young and when I was in high school especially, everyone I knew was in a band.  Every party had a live band and every dance had live bands.

My favorite guys were the drummers.  I had a soft spot for drummers.  One even taught me to play the drums.  Was I any good?  Ummm...that would be no!  That would be ....terrible...Ha!

Trusted Contributor

So funny @Annabellethecat66,  my DH just said the other night how he hates it !! I have to agree it ruines the songs for me to, not a fan

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 Well, to some I'm quite old too (72 this year).  I can still do all of the old dances, mashed potatoes, the swim, the locomotion, the Watusi, the stroll, there are lots more but I won't bore you.

I recently watched "The Goldbergs".  The show was about the "Golden Girls" but it was also about how the song can get into your head and you start singing it in your head.

After that episode it took a long time for me to get it out of my head.

I loved the way back in the 'old days' you actually knew the words to the songs and could actually sing the things.  These days with so much rapping going on I don't even understand what the hay they're saying.

Now that said, one of my favorite singers (he doesn't actually sing) is Eminem...yepper, I like his "OLD" stuff, some Slim Shady...but nothing he put out this past year...it's terrible.  That I can't stand.

It's funny though because I guess we won't be hearing much of those rap songs in the commercials.  Some of it is so atrocious who'd want to sing (rap) to it.  

Honored Contributor

I rather like it - depending on the song and how it's used.  I also like poetry.

Does everyone remember the lines a couple of years ago from Walt Whitman's "Song of the Open Road" used in that car commercial and read, I believe, by Matthew McConaughey?

Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road, 
Healthy, free, the world before me, 
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose. 
The east and the west are mine, and the north and the south are mine. 
All seems beautiful to me.

And those were only excerpts.  

I also loved the singer Goat's "I'm Living a Great Life" used for Ford or some other car commercial. It was snappy and fun and very inspiring.  That must have been about 8-10 years ago.  I bought the CD but that was the only good song!
[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I know what you mean.   A few years ago, they used Rhapsody in Blue for a plane commercial.   George Gershwin.  Really?

A lot of good songs are used to sell merchandise and it kind of cheapens the music, to me.  The artists did not have products in mind when writing the music.  

The problem is nobody is writing, or companies are not using, original musical jingles for their products.   

On the other hand,  the songwriters are most likely paid a hefty amount to let their music be used. 

Money talks.     

Honored Contributor

@Stevie Nix wrote:

I am much more bothered by the fact that many TV dramas feel a need to use a song, with lyrics, in all their shows.  I occasionally put on Closed Captioning if I am having trouble making out the dialogue in show.  Then CC shows me all the song lyrics along with the dialogue.  I find it annoying. 

@Stevie Nix: Slightly off-topic, but l remember years ago l was watching Saturday Night Live. Beyoncé was singing "Bootylicious." I put on closed-captioning so l could determine the words. When the captioning spelled out "l don't think you're ready for this jelly..." then repeated it 3 times, then "'cause my body's too bootylicious for you," l started laughing, seeing those verses in writing. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Doesn’t bother me. I really pay close enough attention to a commercial to ever link the ad to the song in my brain.
Respected Contributor

I love having the old songs brought back.  Reminds me of a special time and place in my life.  I don't care what they are selling.  I also love hearing the old Dallas theme song as well.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I’ll find a new song or artist that I like. Case in point: “Feel it still” from iPad pro and Vitamin water ads.

”ooh woo I’m a rebel just for kicks now, I been feeling it since 1966 now” 🎶