Respected Contributor

I think the suggestion to check out - if you can - how others dress where you are going to interview is a good idea.

If not wear what you feel comfortable, confident and smart in - be it trouser suit or dress as then you will feel 'good' about yourself and that is half the battle going to an interview.  Don't wear a new style you are not sure of.

Excuse the change of font my iPad is doing it on its own!

Wishing you the best of luck - go for it!

Respected Contributor

@dimin wrote:

Whoops, I forgot that part about what kind of job. It's a government job in an office. I was thinking switching up to a new me might give me good luck. I'm glad pants and panty hose can be worn. I'm going to search online like someone suggested. I'm overweight too, and short. That shouldn't matter but I need a new me to boost my confidence. 

If I were you, I would go with business casual.  For example--a nice button down shirt and dress pants, or a sweater or cardigan with dress pants.  A faux leather jacket or a blazer would look nice over a dress or shirt and pants. But don't wear a full matching suit.  I think that would look outdated and too formal.

Here is an article that has examples that you can draw ideas from:

https://thefashiontag.com/interview-outfit/

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interview Clothes

[ Edited ]

Oh how I remember the days of job interviews.  Never, ever would one wear pants to a job interview.  The norm was a simple well fitting suit with white blouse, and panty hose.  Today, along with  everything else, those rules have been relaxed.  However, if it were me I would definitely wear panty hose if wearing a suit, bare legs are a no no.  A straight black skirt with a white blouse, black shoes which do not have to have high heels, a medium heeled shoe is fine.  Even a very good looking well polished pair of flats are acceptable. One must wear clothes that are well pressed, no wrinkles, well fitting...most certainly not tight or clingy but I am sure you know all that.

When I was interviewed for a job with Warner Bros Studios I was fifty nine years old, but because of good genes I never looked my age.  I was always taken for 7 to 10 years younger, however, regardless of age, the skills you have to offer mean a great deal.  I was hired for the job I was interviewing for on the spot because my work background was exactly what they were looking for.  No one has to tell you being well groomed is of course extremely important, as I said, you already know that.  In any case, I believe employers toady realize that the mature individual can be depended on to be on time to work, know how to interact with people, and have excellent work habits.  So go out there, be positive, knock them dead and get the job.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Invest in yourself.  

Get your hair done but not overboard. If your nails need attention get a buffer or a bottle of top coat. We have a full range of ages in my office from 30's to early 70's. Light makeup on all ages. A bit of brows, mascara, foundation and some tinted lip balm are enough. Nobody goes overboard and we are all professionals.

A navy or black dress will do. If you haven't worn one in ages maybe slacks will make you comfortable. Dark hose or even tights hide a lot of flaws. 

The Beauties gave me great advice when I was job searching: throw your shoulders back, look at yourself in the mirror and talk yourself up!

Honored Contributor

@dimin wrote:

Oh gosh. I have no nails, gray in my hair and when I wear make-up no one can tell. I better get busy. Too late for the nails to grow bu I can polish them, trim my hair and buy make up. All my make up is old. I sound pitiful so far. 

@dimin  LOL!!!  I have never had long fingernails either!  Just make sure they are neatly filed, clean and start putting a little oil on your cuticles at night!  That makes them look better.   

Old makeup is ok, jut don't wear too much.  You are being too hard on youself.  Relax and enjoy the process and meeting some new people and having a chance to tell 'em what you can do! 

Respected Contributor
@dimin..I am currently in the job market also.
You do really need to put more effort into all these things other posters have said..it's very competitive and you have to present at your best.
Super Contributor

Yes! I like those ideas. I've been weaing  a borinhg black blazer everytime and black pants. I'm going to look for another style and color. When you said faux leather or a cadigan it kind of got me excited. I wear a uniform now, brown jeans and a polo type shirt. I do office work but where i work we have to wear the uniform. It's a park type setting. I miss being in an office. I'm sure it will be casual office wear. I'm working on my interview answers too.12 years in brown jeans is enough.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@dimin

Why not wear pants? 

@willdob3

Absolutely. I’d go for a tailored suit with trousers myself. That’s what I think if as the best Meghan Markle look, which I mentioned.

Respected Contributor

What’s the grade (GS) level of the job? Is it supervisory or non-supervisory? If it’s supervisory, you should present a professional appearance, regardless of grade level. That could be a business suit, nice skirt/slacks, nice blouse/shirt and a refined sweater. If it’s non-supervisory below the GS-11 grade level, good business casual could work. If it’s GS-12 or above, regardless of a supervisory requirement, go with clothing that’s more professional than business casual. At those grade levels, you’ll probably be expected to brief higher level management at some point. Even if you’re not the main presenter, you might be required to attend meetings. The interviewers will want to see that you’re able to comport yourself well. The clothing you wear to the interview provides them with the first opportunity to determine this. Once you’ve established the fact that you’re professional, they can focus on your participation in the interview. Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@dimin wrote:

Whoops, I forgot that part about what kind of job. It's a government job in an office. I was thinking switching up to a new me might give me good luck. I'm glad pants and panty hose can be worn. I'm going to search online like someone suggested. I'm overweight too, and short. That shouldn't matter but I need a new me to boost my confidence. 

If I were you, I would go with business casual.  For example--a nice button down shirt and dress pants, or a sweater or cardigan with dress pants.  A faux leather jacket or a blazer would look nice over a dress or shirt and pants. But don't wear a full matching suit.  I think that would look outdated and too formal.

Here is an article that has examples that you can draw ideas from:

https://thefashiontag.com/interview-outfit/

Here is an example of business casual (I would swapped out the jeans for dress pants).

business-casual-dress-code.jpg