Honored Contributor

@dimin

If you need petite plus sizes, Talbots is a good place to start.  Here are two examples of things that would work for your interview.

Honored Contributor

dimin PLEASE keep us posted. Tell us what you finally decide to wear AND Please tell us how the interview goes.

When is the interview? Hope you do well.

Trusted Contributor

If I were going on an interview today I'd be wearing a dark tailored pant suit, blouse, gold stud earrings (that's it), low heeled pumps,hair pulled back (no poofy hair), minimal makeup and a smile.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

If you can, I suggest you drive by at starting or quitting time and get a feel of what women wear there.  You won't know their job or level but it will give you an idea of how 'formal' the workplace is or isn't.

Most of all, remember that you are interviewing them also.   Make sure you have a couple of good work/office related questions to ask them.  Save one for the end when/if they say 'is there anything you'd like to ask before we wrap up?'

A good one if they haven't already told you is " What is your hiring process?  Can you tell me what the next step will be and when I might hear back?"

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: Interview Clothes

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@dimin

If you need petite plus sizes, Talbots is a good place to start.  Here are two examples of things that would work for your interview.

ITA! These are both great looks! Talbots clothing can be pricey, so if there’s a Talbots outlet or company store near you, you might give them a try if budget’s an issue. You can really get great buys at Talbots clearance stores, but they’re few and far between. You can also use Talbots and other women’s clothing websites as “look books” to get an idea of different combinations. One other thought - make sure you wear comfortable shoes, especially if you’ll be walking from a parking lot or bus/subway stop. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The I have heard it is best to dress for the job you want...a nice pants outfit with matching or coordinating jacket and pants would be appropriate for most any corporate job. Make sure you have a current, updated haircut. No statement jewelry....maybe diamond studs or pearls. Pumps with a 2-4 inch heel. You want to look updated and current, but not like you are trying too hard.
I think a pants outfit looks more current than a dress. It would help to know what type of job you are interviewing for.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't read the other responses.  The conventional wisdom is to dress as if you had the job.  I am in my sixties.  I would get my hair done, maybe get a manicure, and dress a little better than if I had the jpb.  Wear your best outfit, and I would wear a skirt with a silk shirt, my best shoes, and my sheerest panyhose. Make sure the fit is perfect, so you will be comfortable at the interview.

I wouldn't wear a dress b/c I own and wear so few, and might make a mistake.

Best of luck if you like the people who interview.  Don't worry if you don't!

Respected Contributor

The last time I wore a dress to an interview was the early '90s.  Since then, I wore nice, tailored pants, blazer and simple blouse.  Got every job for which I interviewed.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

You're in ur 60's and ur applying for a job in an office environment!!!!! Hate to be negative - but companies don't want to hire people over 40. Maybe it's different working for the government - so let us know.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

You're in ur 60's and ur applying for a job in an office environment!!!!! Hate to be negative - but companies don't want to hire people over 40. Maybe it's different working for the government - so let us know.

I take it you're not a staffing or HR professional-and if UR I'd love to know what kind of co it is!