Super Contributor

I haven't wore a dress in decades but maybe it will make a difference because I haven't been selected for a job yet. I'm in my early 60's. What's the scoop for legs these days? I use to wear pany hose. I'm not gong bare legged. It wouldn't be a good look. 

Thanks in advance.

Respected Contributor

Re: Interview Clothes

[ Edited ]

Of course I have no idea what kind of job you were interviewing for, but I will assume it’s a corporate job of some type. Be conservative. Nice dark simple dress with pantyhose and heels or a tailored suit with a simple shirt or shell and heels. Keep it simple and carry a tailored clean line handbag or briefcase depending on the job. Simple basic jewelry. Check out what other people are wearing there in case you are called back for second interview.

Go to google or YouTube and search for interview outfits and you’ll probably see some good ideas. I think of Megan Markel’s current look as a good example of fresh at classic and professional styles.

Honored Contributor

@dimin

Why not wear pants? 

Honored Contributor

I think a subdued, tailored pants outfit is just as or more appropriate than a dress or skirt.  I like nice trousers, a conservative shirt and a blazer with good quality accessories (shoes and handbag) with minimal jewelry.   No perfume, gum chewing, heavy make-up,and  loud nail polish, etc.

Any middle aged person is at a disadvantage when job searching so stress qualities like dependability, experience and flexability, attributes younger people often don't possess.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Interview Clothes

[ Edited ]

If you're wearing a dress or skirt I think you should wear panty hose for a more professional look. Good luck with your job search!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Keep it simple.  First impressions really are everything.  Clean, neat and pressed. 

Super Contributor

Whoops, I forgot that part about what kind of job. It's a government job in an office. I was thinking switching up to a new me might give me good luck. I'm glad pants and panty hose can be worn. I'm going to search online like someone suggested. I'm overweight too, and short. That shouldn't matter but I need a new me to boost my confidence. 

Super Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Honored Contributor

Make sure your hair is neat, hands and nails clean and neat.  That matters a lot!  I am always checking my hands!  LOL!!

Best wishes and good luck!  

Super Contributor

Oh gosh. I have no nails, gray in my hair and when I wear make-up no one can tell. I better get busy. Too late for the nails to grow bu I can polish them, trim my hair and buy make up. All my make up is old. I sound pitiful so far.